Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delay the process for few seconds Post 302315767 by pludi on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 07:33:14 AM
Old 05-13-2009
You can either let the script wait for the background processes, or sleep for a few seconds, or save the PIDs of the background processes ($!) and check ps -ef if they're still running.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delay in mv

Working on AIX 4.3 I have an active exe that accepts files for processing on our RS6000. Day to day i store these files in a secure place and at the end of the day I mv them one by one. After some reading and ofcourse trial and error i figured out that this helps... mv `ls -l |head -l | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buRst
2 Replies

2. Programming

Delay a process.

How to delay a process. I need to to delay a process from 3sec. At that 3sec other back ground processes also should stop. (just sit 3sec for idle & then starts execution as normally) I use sleep(3)-But it not stop the bg processes I try to use loop but it not gurantee to wait 3sec. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugp
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delay a process getting killed before it completes its work

The problem i am encountering is the process is getting killed before it dispalys the details.The details are displayed using printf.I created a new buffer for printing the details using setvbuf function call instead of output buffer.This is not working.The thing is,killing of the process must be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cijkmysj
1 Replies

4. Programming

how to delay a process from getting killed

We are forking a process B from process A and the process B should display the details it reads from process C(daemon process) continuously. Let us say that the process C sents 100 packets.The process B receives all the 100 packets from the process C before it prints all details of 31... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cijkmysj
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert duration of the process to seconds

Hi, I am looking to write a script to kill the process which are running for more than 7 days. So i have a command like "ps -eo pid,etime,args | grep -i xxxx" ( process which has xxx in it and running for more than 7 days needs to be killed ). When i exeucte the above command , i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart debian server if one specific process has more than 10 seconds have high cpu load

Hi, could someone give me an example for a debian server script? I need to check a process if the process has a high cpu load (top). If yes the whole server needs to reboot. Thats it, nothing more. ;) Hope someone could help me. Regards woisch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woisch
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delay of upto 7 seconds after typing in putty

Hi Friends, I am facing a very strange issue . I type something on putty session of servers of my work(locating in North America) and it appears only after 7 seconds or so. I am located in India. It doesn't happen with my colleagues who are sitting next to me :(. I use the ssh protocol to connect... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get how much time process has been running in seconds

I use this command to get the time elapsed for a process ps -eo pid,pcpu,pmem,user,args,etime,cmd --sort=start_time | grep perl It gives in format 19990 0.0 0.0 user /usr/bin/php 5-09:58:51 /usr/bin/php I need in seconds. Please use CODE tags for sample input and output as well... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)