Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IVE and VIOS
Operating Systems AIX IVE and VIOS Post 302315561 by shockneck on Tuesday 12th of May 2009 05:36:50 PM
Old 05-12-2009
There are several advantages of IVE/HEA over Virtual Ethernet.
  • First: CPU Load. Using IVE costs considerably less processor cycles than Virtual Ethernet. Depending on network I/O I have seen Virtual Ethernet sucking up three Power6 CPU of a p570.
  • Second: speed. The IVE/HEA connects to the internal GX Bus. It is faster than Gigabit PCI adapters that are used for Virtual Ethernet usually.
  • Third: Number of slots: by using IVE you can use more slots for other (e.g. FC) adapters.
It also might be seen as an advantage that the overall number of virtual adapters in the VIOS is reduced.

A disadvantage of IVE I found is that (depending on the network switch used and the adapter speed resulting thereof) it was impossible to install the LPAR via NIM. However that should not be a problem when you use true Gigabit equipment only.
This User Gave Thanks to shockneck For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

vios mount

hi, i tried to mount using $ mount nimsrv01:/export/mksysb_dev/VDEVVIO1 /mksysb in vios mode. i got following error.. </code> Some error messages may contain invalid information for the Virtual I/O Server environment. mount: 1831-008 giving up on:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: honeym210
1 Replies

2. AIX

Script for VIOS

Hello, I'm having troubles running scripts on the VIOS. I want to run a simple script like: lsmap -all | grep vhost I've created the file with just like this: $ cat script1.sh lsmap -all | grep vhost When I run the script, it returns the following error message: script1.sh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ive got a problem with menu sub commands

Ive got a problem fron a menu script where: If i choose option 1 it will run a command for instance option 1 will run another script that will grep for a certain process name also using the If command. IE if chicken process is present echo cluck cluck, but if no chicken then echo no eggs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmccull
4 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS

Can anybody provide me with usefull links to get knowledge how VIOS works and how to configure Lpars on it? I am tired and feel lazy to search through IBM redbooks :-) .. so pls help me :p (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwwzviadi
3 Replies

5. AIX

VIOS Backup

Dear friends.. Will it be OK if I backup VIO Server Using smit mksysb?? will it save all virtual host mapings etc...??? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
3 Replies

6. AIX

Few VIOS questions

Hi, I would like to ask you if you could help me to answer these questions. Please. How to check in vios, size all pv's and to what they are mapped to? How to chech on vios/hmc which PowerVM edition is used? Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
7 Replies

7. AIX

IVE

Hi, is the IVE not included by default in the latest Power7 models? When did it disappear? Can it be ordered as an add-on? Thanks for answering, ff (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox111
0 Replies

8. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS backup

I have 4 VIO server. I have to take backup of VIOS. I got the command "backupios" for taking the backup. My question is if i am taking "backupios -tape /dev/rmt0 " whether it will take rootvg and all the user defined VG / File system which are using for virtual disk for client lpar. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

10. AIX

VIOS 2.2.4.10 - Errors

Hi, $ ioslevel 2.2.4.10 I always get these errors when I perform any action using the web interface of IVM / VIOS Shutdown Partitions Help You have chosen to shutdown the following partitions. The recommended shutdown method is to use the client operating systems shutdown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies
IGB(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    IGB(4)

NAME
igb -- Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device igb Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_igb_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The igb driver provides support for PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82575 and 82576 Ethernet controller chips. The driver supports Transmit/Receive checksum offload and Jumbo Frames. Furthermore it supports TCP segmentation offload (TSO) on all adapters. The identification LEDs of the adapters supported by the igb driver can be controlled via the led(4) API for localization purposes. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation supplied with your Intel PRO/1000 adapter. All hardware require- ments listed apply to use with FreeBSD. Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 9216. This driver supports hardware assisted VLANs. The igb driver supports the following media types: autoselect Enables auto-negotiation for speed and duplex. 10baseT/UTP Sets 10Mbps operation. Use the mediaopt option to select full-duplex mode. 100baseTX Sets 100Mbps operation. Use the mediaopt option to select full-duplex mode. 1000baseSX Sets 1000Mbps operation. Only full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. 1000baseTX Sets 1000Mbps operation. Only full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. The igb driver supports the following media options: full-duplex Forces full-duplex operation half-duplex Forces half-duplex operation. Only use mediaopt to set the driver to full-duplex. If mediaopt is not specified, the driver defaults to half-duplex. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The igb driver supports Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82575 and 82576 controller chips: o Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter (82576) o Intel Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter (82575) LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.igb.rxd Number of receive descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The minimum is 80, and the maximum is 4096. hw.igb.txd Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The minimum is 80, and the maximum is 4096. hw.igb.enable_aim If set to 1, enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation. The default is to enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation. DIAGNOSTICS
igb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. igb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. igb%d: watchdog timeout -- resetting The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). SUPPORT
For general information and support, go to the Intel support website at: http://support.intel.com. If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to the issue to <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. FILES
/dev/led/igb* identification LED device nodes EXAMPLES
Make the identification LED of igb0 blink: echo f2 > /dev/led/igb0 Turn the identification LED of igb0 off again: echo 0 > /dev/led/igb0 SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), em(4), led(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), polling(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The igb device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The igb driver was written by Intel Corporation <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. BSD
May 14, 2010 BSD