Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl explain syntax !!!
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users perl explain syntax !!! Post 302315462 by cbkihong on Tuesday 12th of May 2009 11:02:50 AM
Old 05-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
From the hash 'this', get the value associated with the key 'localtion', and treat it as a reference to a scalar.
This is not really correct.

$this is a hash reference. That is, a reference to a hash. $$this{'location'} dereferences $this to access the value associated with the "location" key.

Another way to write this is $this->{'location'} = 'xxxxxxx';

You may easily confirm this by using Data::Dumper to inspect complex data structure.

Code:
C:\Users\bernardchan>perl -MData::Dumper -e "$$this{'location'}='xxxx'; print Dumper($this)"
$VAR1 = {
          'location' => 'xxxx'
        };

C:\Users\bernardchan>perl -MData::Dumper -e "$this->{'location'}='xxxx'; print Dumper($this)"
$VAR1 = {
          'location' => 'xxxx'
        };

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl doubt plz explain....

hi all i wrote a shell script which uses perl script my code is : >cat filename | while read i >do >perl -e 'require "/home/scripts/abc.pl" ; abc("$i")' >done perl script used will simply check syntax of Cobol programs but it didn't work for me so i asked my colleague he suggested... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Please explain this for me: $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f')[$num & 15];

This is taken from perlop. I can't understand what's going on, please can someone explain this for me? $hexdigit = (0 .. 9, 'a' .. 'f'); to get a hexadecimal digit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain following sed syntax please

Thanks to this forum I have managed to work out a solution to my problem and actually understand most of it, but one thing is confusing me and I am sure someone here can explain. I need to insert a piece of txt into a file. This txt is awk '{ sub(/$/,"\r"); print }' $JCL_WBB50103_EFTOUT >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl syntax help

Im new at scripting and im trying to write a script using perl that will make sure there are 2 command line integer arguments and then check if the 2nd argument is greater than the first. i believe im close but still receive my error message even when i have 2 arguments and the second part gives me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl?

Can someone please explain what tr#A-Za-z0-9+/# -_#; means in perl? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain perl formatting commands

Could you please tell the meaning of Below mentioned perl script lines: format OWNER_TOTAL = @< Owner Code @<<<<<<total: @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @#######.## @###### #.## $prev_cust_type, $prev_owner_code,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

can you explain this perl command?

I am using this line of perl code to change the file format and remove ^M at the end of each line in files: perl -i -pe's/\r$//;' <name of file here> Can you explain to me what this code does, and translate it into bash/awk/sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax

I'm a newbie to perl scripting. Can someone please explain the syntax below. Specifically what does -> and => do? $tz->site( => $site); (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl syntax

Query with perl syntax Aim: is to change a perl script to use a new file I was required to replace - entries \"$entries\" with -lib <full_path_to_filename> So in the code detector.pm sub rundetector { my $class = shift; mkdir($resultDirectory); my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Perl/Array Sorting : Can someone please explain below code $h{$_}++

sub uniq { my %h; return grep { !$h{$_}++ } @_ } The above code is to remove duplicates from array. I am having hard time understanding below things (basically around highlighted code in bold)- when was the value inserted in hash? and are we only adding a key in Hash not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tanu
1 Replies
Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3)

NAME
Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar - return Dwarn @return_value SYNOPSIS
use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return Dwarn some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; if (wantarray) { my @return = some_call(...); warn Dumper(@return); return @return; } else { my $return = some_call(...); warn Dumper($return); return $return; } but shorter. If you need to force scalar context on the value, use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnS some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my $return = some_call(...); warn Dumper($return); return $return; If you need to force list context on the value, use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnL some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my @return = some_call(...); warn Dumper(@return); return @return; If you want to label your output, try DwarnN use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnN $foo is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my @return = some_call(...); warn '$foo => ' . Dumper(@return); return @return; If you want to output a reference returned by a method easily, try $Dwarn $foo->bar->{baz}->$Dwarn is equivalent to: my $return = $foo->bar->{baz}; warn Dumper($return); return $return; If you want to format the output of your data structures, try DwarnF my ($a, $c) = DwarnF { "awesome: $_[0] not awesome: $_[1]" } $awesome, $cheesy; is equivalent to: my @return = ($awesome, $cheesy); warn DumperF { "awesome: $_[0] not awesome: $_[1]" } $awesome, $cheesy; return @return; If you want to immediately die after outputting the data structure, every Dwarn subroutine has a paired Ddie version, so just replace the warn with die. For example: DdieL 'foo', { bar => 'baz' }; DESCRIPTION
use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; will import Dwarn, $Dwarn, DwarnL, DwarnN, and DwarnS into your namespace. Using Exporter, so see its docs for ways to make it do something else. Dwarn sub Dwarn { return DwarnL(@_) if wantarray; DwarnS($_[0]) } $Dwarn $Dwarn = &Dwarn $DwarnN $DwarnN = &DwarnN DwarnL sub Dwarn { warn Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper @_; @_ } DwarnS sub DwarnS ($) { warn Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper $_[0]; $_[0] } DwarnN sub DwarnN { warn '$argname => ' . Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper $_[0]; $_[0] } Note: this requires Devel::ArgNames to be installed. DwarnF sub DwarnF (&@) { my $c = shift; warn &Data::Dumper::Concise::DumperF($c, @_); @_ } TIPS AND TRICKS
global usage Instead of always just doing: use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; Dwarn ... We tend to do: perl -MData::Dumper::Concise::Sugar foo.pl (and then in the perl code:) ::Dwarn ... That way, if you leave them in and run without the "use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar" the program will fail to compile and you are less likely to check it in by accident. Furthmore it allows that much less friction to add debug messages. method chaining One trick which is useful when doing method chaining is the following: my $foo = Bar->new; $foo->bar->baz->Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar::DwarnS->biff; which is the same as: my $foo = Bar->new; (DwarnS $foo->bar->baz)->biff; SEE ALSO
You probably want Devel::Dwarn, it's the shorter name for this module. perl v5.16.2 2011-01-20 Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3)