Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to remove weird symbols
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove weird symbols Post 302315459 by devtakh on Tuesday 12th of May 2009 11:00:50 AM
Old 05-12-2009
Can you tell what does the below command o/p

Code:
sed -n "l" filename

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

undefined symbols

i am trying to compile transcode on AIX v 4.3.3 with gcc 3.0.1 i am getting this error: gcc -shared -o .libs/libexport_null.so.0 export_null.o -lpthread -ldl -lc -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-bexport:.libs/libexport_null.exp ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: capability_flag ld: 0711-317... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thalex
0 Replies

2. Linux

cp first ~/bin what is ~ symbols importance in this.

What would be the importance of ~ in this command. cp first ~/bin Thanks from dumb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh85
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

new lines symbols in sed?

I want to edit a huge script file using sed. How can I add the new lines symbols in the red colored places? sed -e "s/test -z "$x"/if test -z "$x" then echo -1; \n else \n/g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gogogo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove accents and symbols with sed

Hi, I would like to know how could I remove accentes and the symbols: º and ª of a text file with sed. Whis this command doesn't works :-( sed "s/í/i/g" filename Many thanks and sorry for my english! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
7 Replies

5. AIX

Unresolved symbols

Hello experts , i have some strange problem, i wanted to create a shared object in AIX 5.3 for which i have compiled all my .cxx to .o which worked fine and then i created the .so from them , but when i do nm -Bo sample.so , i have many unresolved symbol, including printf... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting symbols

Can anyone please tell me what the following do 1. < 2. << Thanks Calypso (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Calypso
1 Replies

7. Programming

cc -- Unsatisfied symbols -- on HP-UX 10.2

Greetings, I am slowly learning a few things but am far from being an expert. I am at the point now that I would like to be able write some ANSI C code on HP-UX 10.2. Just a hobbie... I am just using cc, which came with the HP-UX 10.2 ... I don't have the manuals for the development... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with understanding the symbols '~#' and '~$'

I noticed that sometimes there is "~#" or "~$" in the terminal. What is that? I can't make any research in google because I don't know what are they called. I even tried reading pdf's or books but unfortunately, I wasn't lucky to find out. Maybe I was not persistent enough but I am really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chams
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove line if field has symbols in it

Trying to use awk to remove a line only if $1 contains either ; or :. Thje awk below runs but no lines are removed. Thank you :). awk awk '$1 !~ /;/ || $1 !~ /:/ { print }' file file AARS2;TMEM151B 1 AASS 2 ABAT 3 ABCA1 3 ABCA10 1 ABCA12 2 ABCA13 1 ABCA13:AX746840 2 ABCA2 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. AIX

Errno.h symbols

Hi, I need to look at a recent copy of /usr/include/errno.h from AIX 7.2 to check some symbols. In particular, I'm curious if it defines EOWNERDEAD and ENOTRECOVERABLE. Can someone who has access to 7.2 please check for me? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: topcat
1 Replies
STRIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  STRIP(1)

NAME
strip -- discard information from ELF objects SYNOPSIS
strip [-d | -g | -S | --strip-debug] [-h | --help] [--only-keep-debug] [-o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile] [-p | --preserve-dates] [-s | --strip-all] [--strip-unneeded] [-w | --wildcard] [-x | --discard-all] [-I format | --input-target=format] [-K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol] [-N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol] [-O format | --output-target=format] [-R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname] [-V | --version] [-X | --discard-locals] file ... DESCRIPTION
The strip utility is used to discard information from ELF objects. The strip utility supports the following options: -d | -g | -S | --strip-debug Remove debugging symbols only. -h | --help Print a help message and exit. --only-keep-debug Remove all content except that which would be used for debugging. -o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile Write the stripped object to file outputfile. The default behaviour is to modify objects in place. -p | --preserve-dates Preserve the object's access and modification times. -s | --strip-all Remove all symbols. --strip-unneeded Remove all symbols not needed for further relocation processing. -w | --wildcard Use shell-style patterns to name symbols. The following meta-characters are recognized in patterns: ! If this is the first character of the pattern, invert the sense of the pattern match. * Matches any string of characters in a symbol name. ? Matches zero or one character in a symbol name. [ Mark the start of a character class. Remove the special meaning of the next character in the pattern. ] Mark the end of a character class. -x | --discard-all Discard all non-global symbols. -I format | --input-target=format These options are accepted, but are ignored. -K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol Keep the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise be stripped. This option may be specified multiple times. -N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol Remove the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise have been kept. This option may be specified multiple times. -O format | --output-target=format Set the output file format to format. For the full list of supported formats, please see the documentation for function elftc_bfd_find_target(3). -R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname Remove the section named by the argument sectionname. This option may be specified multiple times. -V | --version Print a version identifier and exit. -X | --discard-locals Remove compiler-generated local symbols. DIAGNOSTICS
The strip utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ar(1), elfcopy(1), ld(1), mcs(1), elf(3), elftc_bfd_find_target(3), fnmatch(3) BSD
September 17, 2011 BSD