Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract blocks of text from a file Post 302315064 by ghostdog74 on Monday 11th of May 2009 11:18:04 AM
Old 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfries
Thanks - although I don't know what Python is, I might be able to adapt your code in a shell script.
Python is a scripting/programming language (much like Perl). anyway, that Python code is self explanatory so i don't think you will have much problems "converting" it to shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

2. Programming

c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file

needa c program to extract text between two delimiters from some text file. and then storing them in to diffrent variables ? text file like 0: abc.txt ========= aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass aaaaaa|11111111|sssssssssss|333333|ddddddddd|34343454564|asass... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukretiabhi13
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequence blocks

Hi, I have an one-line file consisting of a sequence of 660 letters. I would like to extract 9-letter blocks iteratively: ASDFGHJKLQWERTYUIOPZXCVBNM first block: ASDFGHJKL 1nd block: SDFGHJKLQ What I have so far only gives me the first block, can anyone please explain why? cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solli
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read text in blocks

Hi, I have file which contains information written in blocks (every block is different). Is it possible to read every block one by one to another file (one block per file). The input is something like this <block1> <empty line> <block2> <empty line> ... ... ... <block25> <empty... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: art84_)LV
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split this file into blocks and then send these blocks as input to the tool called Yices?

Hello, I have a file like this: FILE.TXT: (define argc :: int) (assert ( > argc 1)) (assert ( = argc 1)) <check> # (define c :: float) (assert ( > c 0)) (assert ( = c 0)) <check> # now, i want to separate each block('#' is the delimeter), make them separate files, and then send them as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with individual blocks of text using awk

Hi, I am working with CVS log data and have some data as follows. RCS file: /cvsroot/eclipse/org.eclipse.debug.core/core/org/eclipse/debug/core/IBreakpointListener.java,v head: 1.14 branch: locks: strict access list: keyword substitution: o total revisions: 15; selected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences of bytes from binary for differents blocks

Hello to all, I would like to search sequences of bytes inside big binary file. The bin file contains blocks of information, each block begins is estructured as follow: 1- Each block begins with the hex 32 (1 byte) and ends with FF. After the FF of the last block, it follows 33. 2- Next... (59 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
59 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding and removing blocks of text from file

Hello all, short story: I'm writing a script to add and remove dns records in dns files. Its on a RHEL 5.5 So far i've locked up the basic operations in a couple of functions: - validate the parameters - search for existant ip in file when adding - search for existant name records in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Blocks of text in a file - extract when matches...

I sat down yesterday to write this script and have just realised that my methodology is broken........ In essense I have..... ----------------------------------------------------------------- (This line really is in the file) Service ID: 12345 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate text blocks from a file?

Hi All I have a list of files which will have duplicate list of blocks of text. Following is a sample of the file, I have removed the sensitive information from the file. All the code samples starts from <TR BGCOLOR="white"> and Ends with IP address and two html tags like this. 10.14.22.22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahasona
3 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)