Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to assign a value to several variables inside awk call Post 302315017 by panyam on Monday 11th of May 2009 09:10:18 AM
Old 05-11-2009

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variables with cut

I need to read a file (a list) and assign the value to a variable (for each line), I'm looping until the end of the file. My problem is, I want to assign 2 separate variables from the list. The process I'm using is: awk '{print $3}' file1 > file2 awk '{print $4}' file1 > file3 cat file2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign script parameters to variables

Hi, I have a bash script that accepts some parameters as input, like: sh script.sh first second third ..... I want to save these parameters as different variables, something like: VAR1=first VAR2=second etc I tried this, but apparently it didn't worked....... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/shell question: Read from file and assign to variables.

Is anyone able to help with writing a program that will do the following: 1. Read the contents of a file, line by line, and on each line, assign each of the two columns to a shell variable. 2. perform an action on the variables 3. Read the next line. Here is what I've gotten so far. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign values to variables of a file

Hi, I have a file like the following... CUST= DIR= NULIST= name=philps_123 How can i add values to each of these unassigned variables using a shell script? say for eg: i have values for CUST as onida, dir as /dir/onida, NULIST as /tmp/onida_files. How can i add these values to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

match and assign variables

Hi guys, I'm currently writing a script for automating a FreeBSD ZFS setup (ZFSonRooT). I got stuck at one point for raidz(1,2 a.k.a raid5,6) and am in need of assistance. This is what I need. example: #!/bin/sh <- must stay sh echo -n "hdd list: " read hdd_list echo -n "hdd label list:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Unknown Values to Variables

i have a program that spits out a certain number of values. i dont know the number of values. they can be 4, 10, 7, 20, no idea. but, i want to be able to assign each of the value returned by this program to a variable. in the latest instance, the program gave the following 6 values: 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed inside system call in awk

HI , I am trying to write a code where if a file system has / at the end then replace it with null but it should not affect root file system / for example if ip is /var/opt/home/ then o/p is /var/opt/home but if ip is / then it should remain /. for this i am using below code but no success... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to assign points to variables based on conditions and update specific field

I have been reading old posts and trying to come up with a solution for the below: Use a tab-delimited input file to assign point to variables that are used to update a specific field, Rank. I really couldn't find too much in the way of assigning points to variable, but made an attempt at an awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
URLCODING(3)						 libbash urlcoding Library Manual					      URLCODING(3)

NAME
urlcoding -- a Libbash library for encoding and decoding URL's. SYNOPSIS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> urlEncodeStream [-l] urlDecodeString <STRING> urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> urlDecodeStream DESCRIPTION
urlcoding is a collection of functions that convert ASCII-text to standard URL's and vice-versa. The AWK code used is based on code by Heiner Steven <heiner.steven@odn.de> The function list: urlEncodeString Creates a URL from an ASCII string urlEncodeFile Converts a file into URL-valid text urlEncodeStream Converts standard input into URL-valid text urlDecodeString Converts a URL-encoded text back to a plain-text form urlDecodeFile Coverts URL-encoded text in a file back to plain text urlDecodeStream Converts URL-encoded standard input to text Detailed interface description follows. The [-l] option for the encoding functions should be used when line-feed characters (' ') are to be encoded as well. All functions print the results of their conversions to standard output. The exit status of all functions is that of the command 'awk', with '0' for success FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> Converts STRING - a string of ASCII characters - to URL. urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> Coverts FILE of URL-encoded text to plain text urlEncodeStream [-l] Converts text from standard input to URL-text. urlDecodeString <STRING> Converts URL-encoded string STRING back to text. urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> Converts the URL-encoded text in FILE to plain text. urlDecodeStream Converts the URL-encoded text from standard input to plain-text AUTHORS
Alon Keren <alon.keren@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux