Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Authenticate Shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Authenticate Shell script Post 302314803 by ultimatix on Sunday 10th of May 2009 10:10:17 AM
Old 05-10-2009
Bug Authenticate Shell script

Hi

I want to create a script that will authenticate user from a file and if both of them match then only the script is allowed to be executed...

Suppose I have a script say test.sh and a file config.txt

for users whose user ids exist in the text file should only be given permission to execute the script...

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

scp Unable to authenticate. Communication error.

I'm having this issue on one of my AIX box, whenever I try to do scp it asks for user, domain and password and just errors out, scp works fine on other AIX servers. I already checked the permissions of .sshd and its files, stopped and restarted sshd subsystem. Also it never asks for user, domain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barkath
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

? Authenticate Sybase login thru script ?

Hi All, This is my first post. Need your favour guys. I need to authenticate syabse login/password thru shell script. I am getting the ID & Pwd form user and storing it in variable.. But how to authenticate and echo user back if the id/pwd doesnt work. isql -U$1 -P$2 -S$3 ?? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libin4u2000
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to authenticate sybase login thru shell script ?

Hi All, This is my first post. Need your favour guys. I need to authenticate syabse login/password thru shell script. I am getting the ID & Pwd form user and storing it in variable.. But how to authenticate and echo user back if the id/pwd doesnt work. isql -U$1 -P$2 -S$3 ?? thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: libin4u2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash authenticate on a server

Hi I'd like to use a script bash that every morning automatically get from a server the file i need. The problem is that i should myself authenticate on a server, i mean i have to insert username and passwd. Do you know any reference or guide where i can read about? Thanks D. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet from shell script , further need to logout if log in not authenticate

Using unix shell script file I need to telnet to a IP further send a command to the telnet IP and get the response to a file with out using "expect" utility and I have achieved this by below command. (sleep 3; echo admin; sleep 3; echo mypass; sleep 5;echo "show status-list"; sleep 5; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunath Rao
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Unable to authenticate using NAGIOS on redhat

Hi, I have installed Nagios on Redhat 5 using rpms, it was successully installed and I have started the nagios and httpd service. While login on browser, using nagios userid and password, I am unable to login I have installed nagios and nagios-plugin rpms both. I have used the command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

Linux Client To Authenticate using TACACS

I have customer who controls access to the internet via TACACS server, basically a PIX firewall uses authentication from the TACACS to say if traffic is allowed to pass out of the gateway. I can't find anything on how to configure a linux client of TACACS authentication only how to set up a linux... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to authenticate in LDAP RHEL 6.0

Hi there, I run a lab of around 20 systems. I have setup my LDAP server and LDAP clients. But when I try to log on to other cleint machines from a client machine, the error shows that "Permission Denied". On the other hand, if I login onto server from any client machine, the communication takes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ankur Goyal
1 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Failed to Authenticate user in FreeRadius 2.2.0

Hi All, I've installed FreeRadius 2.2.0 in Oracle Solaris 10 1/13, and I'm getting Access-Reject when tried using 'radtest' tool. When debugging is enabled I'm getting the following message Debug: ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting the user I've... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Windows AD users authenticate to Linux

Hello folks, Please advise me what is the best way to authenticate Windows AD users against Linux machines. Currently I am going to take a look of Vintela Authentication Services and please let me know if you have experience with VIntela. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)