Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem with socket binding - "system" call Post 302314696 by pludi on Saturday 9th of May 2009 02:37:07 PM
Old 05-09-2009
In your case, it should be enough to just close that copy of the socket. But I can't guarantee that it won't also close the parents socket, so you should test that first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

TCP/IP socket binding problem

I have what appears to be a unique socket problem, although admittedly my tcp/ip programming experience is relatively limited. I have a AIX server process using TCP/IP berkely sockets, and a Windows (C#) process. The windows process takes input from a user and sends a message to the Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adiaconou
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Configure a range of ports to "socket" system call

Hello ; This what i want to do : I know that in the system call #include <sys/socket.h> int bind(int socket, const struct sockaddr *address, socklen_t address_len); you can specify the local port for your socket, but im using a private library , and im sure that in that library... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
0 Replies

5. Programming

Adding custom ("Hello") system call: help

I'm trying to add a custom ("Hello world" :o) system call. In /usr/src/linux/hello/ I put simple hello.c ...#include "linux/linkage.h" // for linking a system call #include "linux/kernel.h" // for "printk" asmlinkage int sys_hello() { printk(KERN_ALERT "Hello!"); return 1; }... and in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: courteous
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using "system" command in perl

Hello!!! I'm trying to pass the output from bash command to perl variable in a perl script, and I used the "system" command to execute the bash statment and pass the result to perl string variable, in this perl script I used a variable $file that store data for using it as a regular expression.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolabo
2 Replies

8. AIX

[Tip] Problem with rpm ("different operating system")

I have once experienced this problem without understanding what caused it but now learned thatn there is even a PMR dealing with it. Sometimes it happens that you encounter the following (rather cryptical) error message when trying to install an rpm-package: package <rpm_package_name> is for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "date" and "system" command

Hello experts! I need your help please I have a file.txt of which I want to extract 3rd and 4th columns with date with the form e.g.: 2016-11-25 03:14:50and pass them to "date" command, but also append the 9th column in a file as well. So I want to execute date -d '2016-11-25 03:14:50' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
bind(2) 							System Calls Manual							   bind(2)

Name
       bind - bind a name to a socket

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/socket.h>

bind(s, name, namelen)
       int s;
       struct sockaddr *name;
       int namelen;

#include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/socket.h>
       #include <sys/un.h>

bind(s, name, namelen)
       int s;
       struct sockaddr_un *name;
       int namelen;

Description
       The  system  call  assigns a name to an unnamed socket.	When a socket is created with the call, it exists in a name space (address family)
       but has no name assigned.  The system call requests that name be assigned to the socket.

Binding a name in the UNIX domain creates a socket in the file system that must be deleted by the caller when it is no longer needed, using
       the system call.

The sockaddr argument specifies a general address family.  The sockaddr_un argument specifies an address family in the UNIX domain.

The  rules  used  in name binding vary between communication domains.  Consult the reference pages in the ULTRIX Reference Pages Section 4:
       Special Files for detailed information.

Return Value
       If the is successful, the call returns a 0 value.  A return value of -1 indicates an error, which is further specified in the global  vari-
       able errno.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following conditions:

[EBADF]	      S is an invalid descriptor.

[ENOTSOCK]     S is not a socket.

[EADDRNOTAVAIL]
		      The specified address is not available from the local machine.

[EADDRINUSE]   The specified address is already in use.

[EINVAL]       The socket is already bound to an address.

[EACCESS]      The requested address is protected, and the current user has inadequate permission to access it.

[EFAULT]       The name parameter is not in a valid part of the user address space.

The following errors are specific to binding names in the UNIX domain:

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeds 255 characters, or an entire pathname exceeds 1023 characters.

[ENOENT]       A prefix component of the path name does not exist.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode.

[EROFS]	      The name would reside on a read-only file system.

[EISDIR]       A null pathname was specified.

See Also
       connect(2), getsockname(2), listen(2), socket(2), unlink(2)

bind(2)