Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Awk counting lines with field match Post 302314584 by ghostdog74 on Friday 8th of May 2009 07:08:18 PM
Old 05-08-2009
why don't you show an example of an input file and show your desired output as well?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Counting number of similar lines

Hi All I have the input file OMAK_11. OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines of code in a directory with awk

I've never toyed with awk, but it seems every time I present an elegant 2- to 8-line script, someone comes back with an awk 1-liner. I just came up with this to count all the lines of source code in a directory. How would I do it in awk? LINES=0 for n in $(wc -l *.cpp *.h | cut -b-7); do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting lines containing two column field values with awk

Hello everybody, I'm trying to count the number of consecutive lines in a text file which have two distinctive column field values. These lines may appear in several line blocks within the file, but I only want a single block to be counted. This was my first approach to tackle the problem (I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk display the match and 2 lines after the match is found.

Hello, can someone help me how to find a word and 2 lines after it and then send the output to another file. For example, here is myfile1.txt. I want to search for "Error" and 2 lines below it and send it to myfile2.txt I tried with grep -A but it's not supported on my system. I tried with awk,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eurouno
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting lines that match pattern

I have a file of 1.3 millions lines. some are with the same word twice on the line, some line have two diffrent words. each line has two words, one in brackets. example: foo (foo) bar (bar) thae (awvd) beladf (vswvw) I am sure this can be done with one line of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in a file using awk

I want to count lines of a file using AWK (only) and not in the END part like this awk 'END{print FNR}' because I want to use it. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk repeat one field at all lines and modify field repetitions

Hello experts I have a file with paragraphs begining with a keeping date and ending with "END": 20120301 num num John num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num B keepnum2 num num Pete num num A keepnum1 num num Jacob num... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match value to a field within +/- value

In the awk below I use $2 of filet to search filea for a match. If the values in $2 are exact match this works great. However, that is not always the case, so I need to perform the search using a range of + or - 2. That is if the value in filea $2 is within + or - 2 of filet $2 then it is matched.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match field between two files and use conditions on match

I am trying to look for $2 of file1 (skipping the header) in $2 of file2 (skipping the header) and if they match and the value in $10 is > 30 and $11 is > 49, then print the line from file1 to a output file. If no match is foung the line is not printed. Both the input and output are tab-delimited.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
NEXT(1)                                                              [nmh-1.5]                                                             NEXT(1)

NAME
next - show the next message SYNOPSIS
next [+folder] [-showproc program] [-showmimeproc program] [-header | -noheader] [-checkmime | -nocheckmime] [switches for showproc or showmimeproc] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Next performs a show on the next message in the specified (or current) folder. Like show, it passes any switches on to the program show- proc or showmimeproc, which is called to list the message. This command is almost exactly equivalent to "show next". Consult the manual entry for show(1) for all the details. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder showproc: Program to show non-MIME messages showmimeproc: Program to show MIME messages SEE ALSO
show(1), prev(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `-checkmime' `-header' CONTEXT
If a folder is specified, it will become the current folder. The message that is shown (i.e., the next message in sequence) will become the current message. BUGS
next is really a link to the show program. As a result, if you make a link to next and that link is not called next, your link will act like show instead. To circumvent this, add a profile-entry for the link to your nmh profile and add the argument next to the entry. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEXT(1)