Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Patching
Operating Systems Solaris Patching Post 302314061 by sbk1972 on Thursday 7th of May 2009 09:57:18 AM
Old 05-07-2009
Patching

Hi all

Ive got 12 odd sun servers, running solars 8, 9 and soon 10. Have to admit I havent patched for years. Infact the last time I did patch a load of servers, sun provided you will a small script which would review the current patch levels, create a xml file that you would use on sunsolve to create you a bundle of relative patches. This was back in 2002.

So, what do I do now ?? Looking at the kernel patch levels, most of these servers are well out of date.

Whats the correct method to use now to patch ? Do I just go onto sunsolve, download the latest kernel bundle for solaris 8 and install ?

Or do I try and taylor a patch bundle for my individual installation ??

Do Sun provide a small script to help me ?

Cheers

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Patching Solaris

Hi quick and question for the unix expert here i downloaded the lastest patch from sun. i'm ready to patch my production server. should i just patch it as is or go in to init 1 or init S to do the patching. someone told me that you can just patch the server in init 3 and some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Patching

Hi all, I'm new to Solaris. How can i make sure that all my servers are patched to the same level. When i do a uname -a, i see different level. How can i make sure that they are having the same patches. Any expert to guide me through pls? eg. ServerA#uname -a SunOS ServerA 5.10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahlude
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Patching error

Hi Gurus I wanted to patch two servers yesterday with the SUN provided patch_cluster for solaris 10 One server is had the same patchlevel before and after patching SunOS svr10008 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200 The other had after the patching a different patchlevel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Patching utility?

I know the smpatch utility has the set-uid 0 bit on it, so I'm wondering what privileges does it take to use this tool? I don't have to be root do I? How can I let a normal account do maintenance? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solarisx86
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Patching.

Hi All, I have a question ? Which all patches need to be applied in single user mode and which all not .Is there any rule all patches need to be applied in /var/tmp.Thanks in advance for answers.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Mirror patching

HI Friends.... kindly explain os mirror patching?in SVM and Vxvm. :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_Apple
1 Replies

7. Solaris

patching a zone.

what are prerequisites or precautions we take before we install a patch in a zone.what if zone fails to boot after patching.How to recover form this situation.? Thanks in advance..:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
1 Replies

8. Solaris

patching solaris 8

OK, finally managed to get root access to the machines. Now running # uname -a SunOS unknown 5.8 Generic_108528-22 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-e2 # showrev -p Patch: 112668-01 Obsoletes: Requires: Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWgzip Patch: 109889-01 Obsoletes: 109353-04 Requires: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Norman Khine
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Java patching

hello, I'm a Solaris admin and I was asked to patch some RHEL servers. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the RHEL java version. Can someone help me? This what I do in Solaris java -version java version "1.5.0_34" java(TM) 2 Runtime Envirement, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_34-b03)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
5 Replies

10. Solaris

ldom patching

Greetings everyone! I have the task of patching six ldoms and two control domains. I have never done this before and would like to know of any pitfalls or "gotchas" I may encounter. I have been looking online but have found very little about patching ldoms. Thank you all. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: desertdenizen
4 Replies
CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)						CDBS Documentation						CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
cdbs-edit-patch - create or edit a CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch SYNOPSIS
cdbs-edit-patch patchname DESCRIPTION
cdbs-edit-patch creates or edits patches for use by the CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch system. For more information about CDBS please see the documentation under /usr/share/doc/cdbs/. When patchname exists, cdbs-edit-patch will set up a temporary working source tree, apply all patches up to and including patchname in lex- icographic order, and spawn an interactive shell for the developer. The developer can then edit files in this working tree. When the developer is done and exits the shell, cdbs-edit-patch updates patchname to reflect the changes made. To abort the process from the inter- active shell, exit with a nonzero exit value. When patchname does not exist, cdbs-edit-patch will assume that a new patch should be created. As with the above scenario, cdbs-edit-patch will first create a temporary working source tree and apply all patches up to the new patch in lexicographic order. When the shell is quit, cdbs-edit-patch will create patchname. AUTHOR
CDBS was written by Colin Walters and others. cdbs-edit-patch was written by Martin Pitt. This manual page was written by Peter Eisen- traut based on the dpatch-edit-patch(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
CDBS documentation in /usr/share/doc/cdbs/, /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk, dpatch-edit-patch(1), quilt(1) Debian 5 Feb 2006 CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)