Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tr command giving wrong output Post 302314004 by pludi on Thursday 7th of May 2009 07:41:20 AM
Old 05-07-2009
tr doesn't replace words or fields, but characters. Example:
Code:
$ echo "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" | tr 'afik' 'AFIK'
AbcdeFghIjKlmnopqrstuvwxyz

The first letter in the first parameter is replaced with the first letter in the second parameter, the second letter in the first parameter is replaced with the second letter in the second parameter, ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script giving wrong results....

hi, I have this script which gives me the result... #! /usr/bin/sh set -x cd /home/managar a=1 while true do if then echo " File log.txt exists in this directory " exit 0 fi echo " File has not arrived yes..." sleep 3 let a=a+1 if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
1 Replies

2. AIX

Shared memory giving wrong value

Hi , I am working on AIX 5.3 server.I have small program which stores the from database to a particaular shared memory.But while retreiving the valus from the same shared memory, i am getting wrong values. Please help..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK command giving wrong input

Hi all, I have a problem with qwk command. i have to check process status and for that i am using command prstat -mvL 1 1 and it gives me the entire output but when i use this command with awk like this: prstat -mvL 1 1 | awk -F" " '{print $1,$15}' to get first and 15th arguments. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort command giving wrong output

Hi all, I have a problem with sort command. i have a file which looks like this: "file1 1073 java/4 1073 java/180 1073 java/170 1073 java/176 1073 java/167 1073 java/40 1073 java/33 1073 java/136 28988 java/76 28988 java/73 28988 java/48 28988 java/26" and i want to sort... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

getting wrong output with AWK command!!!

i have a file which gets appended with 9 records daily and the file keeps growing from then...i use to store the previous day files count in a variable called oldfilecount and current files count as newfilecount.my requirement is that i need to start processing only the new records from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xbindkeys giving wrong mapping information

Hello, I'm having a problem with xbindkeys giving the wrong mapping information, hence I can't get it work at all when trying new mappings from this machine. From another computer, I have some definitions for xbindkeys (made with xbindkeys-config). These key codes work correctly on this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output in find command

Hi guys - I am trying a small script to tell me if there is a file that exists less than 1k. It should report ERROR, otherwise the check is good. I wrote this script down, however it never runs in the if/then statement. It always returns the echo ERROR. MYSIZE=$(find /home/student/dir1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command showing wrong output in Linux

Hi All I am trying to run a script in linux wherein i have a command like this grep ^prmAttunityUser= djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp is a temporary file in which the user value is stored but this command in the script returns me balnk value whereas it has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number comparison in ksh on mac with -lt is giving wrong answer

I am trying to run following script in ksh on darwin 11.4.2: freeSpace=2469606195 spaceNeeded=200 ] && echo "no space" || echo "space available" ] && echo "no space" || echo "space available" "-lt" is giving wrong answer as "no space" Whereas '<' works fine. When I change the freespace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabitha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If && command giving wrong output

Hi All, I am trying to run a script which will search for 2 strings(stopped,started) in a text file and echo an output depending on below condition -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.txt v ggg f -bash-3.2$ cat trial1.sh VAR9=` grep 'stopped' /tmp/trial1.txt` VAR10=` grep 'started'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies
LETTERIZE(1)							    Miscellanea 						      LETTERIZE(1)

NAME
letterize_ - phone-number to letter-mnemonic generator SYNOPSIS
letterize nnnnnnn DESCRIPTION
This program tries to help you find a letter mnemonic matching a given phone number. It emits to standard output each possible pronounceable mnemonic, one per line, using the American standard mapping of dial letters to numbers (2 goes to ABC, 3 to DEF, 4 to GHI, 5 to JKL, 6 to MNO, 7 to PRS, 8 to TUV, 9 to XYZ). The program uses a table of pronounceable letter-triples derived from a dictionary scan. Each potential mnemonic must be such that all of its letter-triples are in the table to be emitted. About 30% of possible triples are considered pronounceable. A typical 7-digit phone number has 19,683 possible mnemonics, but this test usually cuts the list down to a few hundred or so, a reasonable number to eyeball-check. For some numbers, the list will, sadly, be empty. It's best to leave out punctuation such as dashes and parens. BUGS
The filtering method doesn't know what plausible medial triples are not reasonable at the beginnings and ends of words. I'm not sure what table position 0 (which is what 0 and 1 are mapped to) means. If you figure it out, you tell me. I really should have generated my own table, but that would have been more work than this seemed worth -- if your number contains either, you probably need to generate your mnemonic in disjoint pieces around the digits anyway. AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@snark.thyrsus.com. It's based on a table of plausible letter-triples that had no name attached to it. Surf to http://www.catb.org/~esr/ for updates and related resources. letterize 05/30/2012 LETTERIZE(1)