Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What does : do in this instance Post 302314002 by vgersh99 on Thursday 7th of May 2009 07:39:36 AM
Old 05-07-2009
In your context the ':' evaluates to 'true' making the 'while' loop an 'endless loop'.
In ksh manual look for 'Special Commands' - you'll see something like:
Code:
: [ arg ... ]
           The command only expands parameters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding first instance

I have a file with 3 columns. Often the first two will hold the same values and the third may differ. I only want one row for each. i.e. aaa,bbb,1 aaa,bbb,2 aaa,bbb,3 xxx,yyy,1 xxx,yyy,2 zzz,rrr,5 Should be aaa,bbb,1 xxx,yyy,1 zzz,rrr,5 I just want the first instance of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
20 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Db Instance

I need to copy my Live Db Instance to my Test Db Instance Can somebody please tell me the easiest way to go about this It is an Informix Database running on HP-UX Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobdeng
0 Replies

3. Linux

OTRS instance

hi frnds here i m trying to configure OTRS instance but i m getting the following error message while runnning through browser. I m writing the following http://192.168.1.55:8080/otrs2/index.pl " #!/usr/bin/perl -w... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single Instance

Hi, I have a script. I want only one instance of the script to be running at any point of the time. How can I do it. what would be the exact format of the ps command for doing this. For example the name of my script is "Inst.sh" Thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first instance(not first instance in line)

Alright, I think I know what I am doing with sed(which probably means I don't). But I cant figure out how to replace just the first occurance of a string. I have tried sed, ed, and grep but can't seem to figure it out. If you have any suggestions I am open to anything! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronHorse7
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching first instance of FS

Hi All, I have a property in a file as: property=value=a If I use FS="=" then I want only first = to be considered as field separator and remaining as value echo -e "property=value=a" | awk -F= '{print $2}' ie my $2 should be value=a Can anyone please help me with this. I need it in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed on first instance only

Hi, I've been trying to figure this one out and found a post about this on the forum here but the solution didn't seem to work for me. Basically what I have is a file that looks something like: stuff morestuff 0 otherthing 0 etc I want to substitute for the 0 but what I want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Apache instance

Hi , Maximum How many instances of apache can we run in one box? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish4linux
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep the last instance of the record

Hi All, I have a input file like 1| abc 1| abcd 1| abcde 2| abc 2| abcd 3| abcde I want the output like 1| abcde 2| abcde Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lrkp
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep the only instance name

Hi, I want to get the only application name from the server. Ex: if i give $ ps -ef | grep bw. It will show all BW process with entire path. It will little confuse to list out the process. Can anyone have syntax to get only the instance name. I need this for be, hawk,ems also. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)