Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron? Post 302313991 by instant000 on Thursday 7th of May 2009 07:19:40 AM
Old 05-07-2009
Thanks for the assistance from both of you.

As I understand it, the "do while var1 var2 ..."
just assigns variables, while reading through a file, correct? And you can then substitute those variables later.

I saw another example [following your advice of researching more myself] where I see that I can specifically assign the variables.

So, it can be like "u=user1 w=stop1.script v=start1.script"

it was something with grouping, and you could assign all your variables in one line. Something like that. Obviously, I suspect that you understand this a lot better than I do.

Thanks. You've opened my eyes. I hope to begin testing today. Hopefully the admin isn't insecure about his job to not show me how he schedules the cron tasks! ... If I have issues with that, though, I'll try to read more FIRST, so my question will be a bit more knowledgeable, and show more effort on my part, instead of asking for a spoon fed, step-by-step answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call shell script from php not run ?

Hi. I write a shell script for import data to oracle using sql loader. I set permission 755 or 777 for that script. I can run that script in the consol okay. When I call it from PHP using system command. I got return value 126 this value when don't have permission right ? I check step... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raccsdl
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone make this script run faster?

One of our servers runs Solaris 8 and does not have "ls -lh" as a valid command. I wrote the following script to make the ls output easier to read and emulate "ls -lh" functionality. The script works, but it is slow when executed on a directory that contains a large number of files. Can anyone make... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto run remotely call function from within script

Hi I have the following script : #!/bin/ksh #################### Function macAddressFinder ######################## macAddressFinder() { `ifconfig -a > ipInterfaces` `cat ipInterfaces` } ####################################################################### # # print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how we can make shell script not to run

Hi,shell script is scheduled from maestro and we want mastero should not run shell script so can we edit the shell script so that it should run.ThanksPrakash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashdba2010
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to make script run recursively

I have this little bash script I use to transcode mkv files using handbrake. #!/bin/bash sourcedir="/media/raid10/video/to_be_encoded_series" destdir="/media/raid10/video/series" cd "$sourcedir" for i in *.mkv; do HandBrakeCLI -i "$i" -o "$destdir/${i%.*}.mkv" -e x264 -q 20.0 -E copy -B... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script through cron with user environment variables

Hi everyone, I wrote a script that is supposed to be run by cron on a daily basis. It works just fine if I run it manually, but due to a lack of environment variables (which are available during my user session but not when cron runs the script) it keeps failing to run successfully. Here's the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

8. AIX

Commands to call script work from command line but not from Cron entry

My first post evidently did not materialize so I posted it again: Runnning a cron job every 5 mins to send data files to a state facility. My original cron entry at worked fine: 01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /home/sftpuser/stateinoc-from-appname.ksh Somewhere I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile: mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh) When i do: make clean - the script is executed When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output: make: Nothing to be done for mytag What i want ? I want script.sh to be executed only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pufo
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
SSTAT(1)							 Slurm components							  SSTAT(1)

NAME
sstat - Display various status information of a running job/step. SYNOPSIS
sstat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
Status information for running jobs invoked with SLURM. The sstat command displays job status information for your analysis. The sstat command displays information pertaining to CPU, Task, Node, Resident Set Size (RSS) and Virtual Memory (VM). You can tailor the output with the use of the --fields= option to specify the fields to be shown. For the root user, the sstat command displays job status data for any job running on the system. For the non-root user, the sstat output is limited to the user's jobs. Note: the sstat command requires that the jobacct_gather plugin be installed and operational. -a, --allsteps Print all steps for the given job(s) when no step is specified. -e, --helpformat Print a list of fields that can be specified with the '--format' option. -h, --help Displays a general help message. -i, --pidformat Predefined format to list the pids running for each job step. (JobId,Nodes,Pids) -j, --jobs Format is <job(.step)>. Stat this job step or comma-separated list of job steps. This option is required. The step portion will default to lowest step running if not specified, unless the --allsteps flag is set where not specifying a step will result in all running steps to be displayed. NOTE: A step id of 'batch' will display the information about the batch step. -n, --noheader No heading will be added to the output. The default action is to display a header. -o, --format, --fields Comma separated list of fields. (use '--helpformat' for a list of available fields). NOTE: When using the format option for listing various fields you can put a %NUMBER afterwards to specify how many characters should be printed. i.e. format=name%30 will print 30 characters of field name right justified. A -30 will print 30 characters left justified. -p, --parsable output will be '|' delimited with a '|' at the end -P, --parsable2 output will be '|' delimited without a '|' at the end --usage Display a command usage summary. -v, --verbose Primarily for debugging purposes, report the state of various variables during processing. -V, --version Print version. Job Status Fields The following are the field options: AveCPU Average (system + user) CPU time of all tasks in job. AvePages Average number of page faults of all tasks in job. AveRSS Average resident set size of all tasks in job. AveVMSize Average Virtual Memory size of all tasks in job. JobID The number of the job or job step. It is in the form: job.jobstep. MaxPages Maximum number of page faults of all tasks in job. MaxPagesNode The node on which the maxpages occurred. MaxPagesTask The task ID where the maxpages occurred. MaxRSS Maximum resident set size of all tasks in job. MaxRSSNode The node on which the maxrss occurred. MaxRSSTask The task ID where the maxrss occurred. MaxVMSize Maximum Virtual Memory size of all tasks in job. MaxVMSizeNode The node on which the maxvsize occurred. MaxVMSizeTask The task ID where the maxvsize occurred. MinCPU Minimum (system + user) CPU time of all tasks in job. MinCPUNode The node on which the mincpu occurred. MinCPUTask The task ID where the mincpu occurred. NTasks Total number of tasks in a job or step. EXAMPLES
sstat --format=AveCPU,AvePages,AveRSS,AveVMSize,JobID -j 11 25:02.000 0K 1.37M 5.93M 9.0 sstat -p --format=AveCPU,AvePages,AveRSS,AveVMSize,JobID -j 11 25:02.000|0K|1.37M|5.93M|9.0| COPYING
Copyright (C) 2009 Lawrence Livermore National Security. Produced at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (cf, DISCLAIMER). CODE-OCEC-09-009. All rights reserved. This file is part of SLURM, a resource management program. For details, see <http://www.schedmd.com/slurmdocs/>. SLURM is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. SLURM is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. SEE ALSO
sacct(1) sstat 2.3 August 2011 SSTAT(1)