Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Benchmarking a Beowulf Cluster Post 302313899 by mercthunder on Thursday 7th of May 2009 12:12:08 AM
Old 05-07-2009
Thanks for the response otheus.

Everything seems to be working except the tuning of the HPL.dat. I keep getting processor errors such as:

HPL ERROR from process # 0, on line 419 of function HPL_pdinfo:
>>> Need at least 8 processes for these tests <<<

HPL ERROR from process # 0, on line 621 of function HPL_pdinfo:
>>> Illegal input in file HPL.dat. Exiting ... <

That is trying to run it on 8 cores across 2 nodes. I have also tried your HPL.dat you provided, and i get a similar error except it says Need at least 12 processes.

Do you know what causes these errors. I have a hosts file in the same directory with the names of the two nodes which i wish to run the tests on.

At the command line i am typing:

mpirun -np 8 -machinefile hosts xhpl_em64t

where hosts file has the names:
machine1
machine2

With each machine being a 3ghz QX6850 Core 2 Extreme (Quad Core), 4GB RAM.

The dat file being uses for two nodes is:

Code:
HPLinpack benchmark input file
Innovative Computing Laboratory, University of Tennessee
HPL.out      output file name (if any) 
8            device out (6=stdout,7=stderr,file)
1            # of problems sizes (N)
29184         Ns
1            # of NBs
128           NBs
0            PMAP process mapping (0=Row-,1=Column-major)
1            # of process grids (P x Q)
2            Ps
4            Qs
16.0         threshold
1            # of panel fact
2            PFACTs (0=left, 1=Crout, 2=Right)
1            # of recursive stopping criterium
4            NBMINs (>= 1)
1            # of panels in recursion
2            NDIVs
1            # of recursive panel fact.
1            RFACTs (0=left, 1=Crout, 2=Right)
1            # of broadcast
1            BCASTs (0=1rg,1=1rM,2=2rg,3=2rM,4=Lng,5=LnM)
1            # of lookahead depth
1            DEPTHs (>=0)
2            SWAP (0=bin-exch,1=long,2=mix)
64           swapping threshold
0            L1 in (0=transposed,1=no-transposed) form
0            U  in (0=transposed,1=no-transposed) form
1            Equilibration (0=no,1=yes)
8            memory alignment in double (> 0)
##### This line (no. 32) is ignored (it serves as a separator). ######
0                               Number of additional problem sizes for PTRANS
1200 10000 30000                values of N
0                               number of additional blocking sizes for PTRANS
40 9 8 13 13 20 16 32 64        values of NB

Hoping someone could please help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Neo; 05-11-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Benchmarks

Server and Workstation benchmarking

This is from my server AMD K6 133MHz 64Mb RAM 4GB HDD (Maxtor - ATA33) 2x10Mb NIC 1Mb Intel Graphic Card BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- FreeBSD sergiu.tarnita.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #2: Thu Mar 17 15:49:16 EET 2005... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-Unix Hardware benchmarking

Hi everyone, I'm working on one HP-Unix application which we have to port completely onto Windows xp. Before that I have to compare performance of two different machines. My HP-Unix is running on HP-C8000 workstation and windows XP machine is intel Xeon. Now the problem is to evaluate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgatkal
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

MySQL Cluster - Designing, Evaluating and Benchmarking (reg. req'd)

Registration is required. In this white paper learn the fundamentals of how to design and select the proper components for a successful MySQL Cluster evaluation. Explore hardware, networking and software requirements. Work through basic functional testing and evaluation best practices. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

Tuning HPL.dat for Beowulf Cluster [Linpack]

Hi guys, I am having some issues tuning the HPL.dat file for the Linpack benchmark test across 2 nodes. I am very new to this with minimal Linux experience, however i am trying my luck. The specs for the two nodes are: 3GHZ QX6850 CORE 2 EXTREME (QUAD CORE) 4GB RAM I have been typing these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mercthunder
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Benchmarking a new Solaris, with four different clients

Good morning, for the impatient: I have a new backup-server and need to monitor, what the machine can do, what's the best way of finding that out? I will tell the story right from the beginning, so you have a clue about what's going on: I have a setup of three machines: A new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

benchmarking application

Where i get a open source benchmark program using pthread library for benchmarking our multicore system for the first stage.I need the source code too for that application ,because in later stage we need to develop our application so that i need to study pthread more. please anybody guide me . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
0 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Benchmarking and performance analyzing in OS

Is/Are there an/some application/applications , package/packages for benchmarking or system performance measuring which are there for almost all Linux releases and distributions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun cluster 4.0 - zone cluster failover doubt

Hello experts - I am planning to install a Sun cluster 4.0 zone cluster fail-over. few basic doubts. (1) Where should i install the cluster s/w binaries ?. ( global zone or the container zone where i am planning to install the zone fail-over) (2) Or should i perform the installation on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVA
0 Replies
ARP2ETHERS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ARP2ETHERS(8)

NAME
arp2ethers - convert arpwatch address database to ethers file format SYNOPSIS
arp2ethers [ arp.dat file ] DESCRIPTION
arp2ethers converts the file /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat (or the file specified on the command line) into ethers(5) format on stdout. Usu- ally arp.dat is an ethernet/ip database file generated by arpwatch(8). The arpwatch daemon in Debian will create different arp.dat depend- ing on its configuration. All of them will be available at /var/lib/arpwatch/. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory for arp.dat arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8), ethers(5), rarp(8), arp(8), BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. AUTHORS
Original version by Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. Modified for the Debian Project by Peter Kelemen, with additions from Erik Warmelink. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz This manual page was contributed by Hugo Graumann. ARP2ETHERS(8)