Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl Post 302313743 by pludi on Wednesday 6th of May 2009 11:18:22 AM
Old 05-06-2009
Yes, that's what I meant. The outer for loop will open each of the files (in sequence). The while loop will read each line of the file (in sequence) and split it, if you supply the correct variable ($_ or $line in my post).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Perl

I have gone to /usr/bin/ and click on perl but notting happens.also notting happens when i click on c/c++ or any other program whats wrong ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on Mulitple files mutliple actions

Hi all, I have mistkanely gzipped twice an entire folder and sub folders, and also renamed the files during that process. I am trying to undo this, and I need help to create the batch to work on it. All folders are under my images directory, I have a output.txt file that holds all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Find/Replace Javascript Injected Strings in mulitple files

Hi, guys, I'm not a high-end programmer, but I've been trying to write a script to remove all of the b.rtbn2.cn (and b.adserv.cn and any future variation) injected script tags on the server. (Still working on security fixes to prevent it in the future, just need to clean up now.) My approach is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zzlegs
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop to run a perl script on multiple files

Hi, I have thousands of files in a directory that have the following 2 formats: 289620178.aln 289620179.aln 289620180.aln 289620183.aln 289620184.aln 289620185.aln 289620186.aln 289620187.aln 289620188.aln 289620189.aln 289620190.aln 289620192.aln.... and: alnCDS_1.fasta (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greptastic
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening mulitple different videos with mplayer and placing them in x,y coordinates?

howdy. can you place mplayer windows on the screen anywhere? i would like to open four movie files from command line and make them show up on screen like this ----- ----- | 1 | | 2 | ----- ----- | 3 | | 4 | ----- ----- hopefully my ascii representation makes some sense. and i would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!! Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over. The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2. Kind of like a log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP failed to copy mulitple files from multiple directory

I am using below scripts to copy all the files from multiple folders. By executing individually command i am able to copy all the files but using scripts only getting first file. System is ignoring the second CD and mget command. HOST=server.com USER=loginid PASSWD="abc" echo "open $HOST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetvipin
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitution to mulitple files

Hello all, I am trying to make a script that will apply a substitution to any number of files given on the command line. Example would be ~/Unix/script/subst car boat myFile1.txt myFile2.txt myFile3.txt This is the code I have so far but it does not function as needed. PAT=$1 shift... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramn214
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Script and not opening files containing spaces

Hello, I wrote a simple script, that basically wait for a *.dat-file in a certain folder, which is always a zipped file and extracts it. It worked before and i changed nothing in the script, but since last week i have the problem, that it doesnt extract files containing a space. How do i make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blend_in
4 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)