Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issues with AWK
Operating Systems AIX Issues with AWK Post 302313704 by alanp on Wednesday 6th of May 2009 10:03:08 AM
Old 05-06-2009
Sorry I tried that.

Instead of getting the field information printed, I get $1,$2,$3..... etc printed. That is variable $1 is not being replaced by the first field in the file $file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk output issues.

I have the follwing code: awk '{print $1}' HITS #Searches HITS file column one. Column one is filenames awk '{print $2}' HITS | sort -n | wc -l #Searches HITS file and sorts numerically and outputs line count. column 2 is IP addresses awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk Performance Issues

Hi All, I'm facing an issue in my awk script. The script is processing a large text file having the details of a number of persons, each person's details being written from 100 to 250 tags as given below: 100 START| 101klklk| ... 245 opr| 246 55| 250 END| 100 START| ... 245 pp| 246... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgp_acc1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering Issues Using sed and awk

Hi, I am currently using the sed and awk commands to filter a file that has multiple sets of data in different columns. An example of part of the file i am filtering is as follows; Sat Oct 2 07:42:45 2010 01:33:46 R1_CAR_12.34 Sun Oct 3 13:09:53 2010 00:02:34 R2_BUS_56.78 Sun... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: issues for writing a script

%%%%% (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues running an awk script

Hi, I have an awk script(test.awk) as below which I am trying to execute through the following command and I am getting error as follows. Request your valid inputs on where I am going wrong. Thanks. :/usr/chandra# awk -f test.awk input.txt syntax error The source line is 1. The error... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk OFS issues

Hi Im trying to tidy up the output of a who command when it writes to a log, everything I've tried doesnt seem to work though, any help would be massively appreciated. Im using the awk command to set the OFS as tab. #!/bin/bash who >> /export/home/tjmoore/logusers awk -F 'BEGIN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 02JayJay02
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk OFS issues

Hi, Could anyone tell me what Im doing wrong here any help will be much appreciated #!/bin/bash ls -ltr /export/home/tjmoore > /export/home/tjmoore/log100 awk -F " " /export/home/tjmoore/log100 'BEGIN {OFS="\t";} {print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5, $6,$7,$8,$9;}' > /export/home/tjmoore/log1001 I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 02JayJay02
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with awk and tcsh

Hello experts, I have two files which I'm uploading. One is an awk script and other file acts as an input to the script via positional parameter. awk -f intlmenu.awk jobsq.txt This run fine in C shell on SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.7. When I run it on Solaris 10 ( tcsh shell ) I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues in reading file using 'awk'

Dear all, I am using following function of some script to assign variable "JobNo" some value form file $SAMPLE"_status.log" ( generated using the red color command ) crab ntuplize_crab -status -c $SAMPLE >& $SAMPLE"_status.log" & echo $SAMPLE"_status.log" "=====" jobNo=$(awk... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with executing awk

I am piping some output to awk and would like to print fields $1 $2 and $3 $4 only if they exist. Note the awk begins with awk '{print $NF " " since I want the last field printed first. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: motdman
7 Replies
NEATEN(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NEATEN(1)

NAME
neaten - neaten up output columns SYNOPSIS
neaten [ format ] DESCRIPTION
Neaten reads from its standard input and neatens up columns separated by white space using the specified format. The format is a string consisting of a positive integer followed by an alignment character and another integer. The alignment character is usually a decimal point ('.'), but it can be any non-digit. The alignment character is used as the central point of each column. The total column field width will be the number to the left of the alignment character plus one for the alignment character itself plus the number to the right of the alignment character. If a field does not contain the alignment character, it will be printed to the left of where the alignment character would have appeared. If a field is too long to print within the specified format, the entire field will be printed and that row will not be aligned with the rest. The default format is "8.8". EXAMPLE
To examine a file with columns of numbers: neaten 10.8 < input | more BUGS
Columns wider than the total width of the format specification will be printed without any separating white space. The program does not do anything special with tabs on the input. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), total(1) RADIANCE
11/15/93 NEATEN(1)