Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching words in a file containing a pattern Post 302313673 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 6th of May 2009 09:14:13 AM
Old 05-06-2009
awk
Code:
# awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if ($i ~/=$/) {print $i}}}' file
The=
some=
wish=

alternative solution with Python
Code:
for line in open("file"):
    line=line.strip().split()
    for items in line:
        if items.endswith("="):
            print items,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting file words as pattern matching

Sir, I want to check for the repation of a user address in a file i used || as my delimiter and want to check repetaip0n of the address that is mailid and then i have to use IMAP and all. How can i do this... I am in linux ...and my file is linux file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

searching for a pattern in a file and forwarding result to another

Hi, I am trying to search through a file for a particular word, then once found, I want the search to carry on for another 30 lines and append all this to a new file. For example, I search for the word "test" in hello.txt: <--some code--> <--some code--> <--some code--> test <--some more... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching pattern in another file and print

Suppose u have a file 12 22 73 another file L22D SSS S12J LLL H77K PPP J25O LOP I73S lOP K99O PLO so output shud like S12J LLL L22D SSS I73S lOP Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

searching one pattern in file and also counting

Hi, everybody this is my pattern in a file thomson, nicolas 5-3871 Wong, Fred 4-4123 Jones, Thomas 1-4122 Salazar, Richard 5-2522 first name and last names of people fallowed by Tele. while i am searching for pattern first name begin with 'S'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in a file.

Hi Guys, I am writing a shell script to extract only the error message from a log file. I am having difficulty in searching the highlighted text in the below code. <runtimeinfo datetime="Sun Apr 04 20:02:52 EDT 2008" docid="" source="RAWDATA" event="ERROR"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash1986
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the date pattern in a file

Hi, I would like to search the pattern based on the date like "2010/08/15". I tried using / in the file giving /<<pattern>>. when i tried this it turns to /2010/+8, but not going to the pattern what ever i want. This is how the data in the file. INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/05/26 13:30:33... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a pattern in a file...

The problem is similar to my yesterday post I Would like an awk script that does the following: I have a file (f1) that contains 1 2 3 4 5and another one (f2) that contains 8|a 9|b 0|c 1|d 2|e 3|f 4|g 5|h 6|i 7|jAnd I'd like to get this: 1|d 2|e 3|f 4|g (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding my lost file by searching for words in it

Got a question for you guys...I am searching through a public directory (that has tons of files) trying to find a file that I was working on a longggggg time ago. I can't remember what it is called, but I do remember the content. It should contains words like this: Joe Pulvo botnet zeus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: statichazard
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)