Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Enforcing password length.
Operating Systems Solaris Enforcing password length. Post 302313447 by jlliagre on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 04:32:53 PM
Old 05-05-2009
The number of characters actually used in the password depend on the algorithm used. It can be set in /etc/security/policy.conf on Solaris.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enforcing password change

Hi I am using SUN_Unix and HPUX. We have a discussion of how to force people to change their passwords every 90 days I suppose. I have seen the case where I log on to a system, which I have my password change with in the last 90 days, the system would prompt me to change the password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

4. AIX

password length

hi friends, anybody know how many character of password length in aix5.3? please help me TIA bong (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bong02
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

minimum password length

Dear frnds, how i can make the password 5chs minimum length in hp-ux 11i ? pls help regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 userid password length to 6

Hi All, How can I make the password of only two userid with 6 length while others are using regular policy of 8 or more length. Please help. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Increase Password length

Hello All, I am using RHEL 4. Currently maximum password length limit is set to 8 on my system. Please tell what do i need to change to increase this limit to say 20. I changed the login.defs and included the following line - " PASS_MAX_LEN 20 " but this dint work. I further... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)