Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: merging similar lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merging similar lines Post 302313415 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 02:50:30 PM
Old 05-05-2009
-f6 means ignore the first six fields - start with the field that has Cursed in it.
Instead of telling what you did not get, please give us EXACTLY what you expect as output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the similar lines

Dear Friends myself Avinash working in bash shell The problem goes like this I have a file called work.txt assume that first colum=mac address second colum= IP third colum = port number ---------------------------------------- 00:12:23:34 192.168.50.1 2 00:12:23:35 192.168.50.1 5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi.skynet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help needed on merging lines with similar words

Hi everyone, I need help with a merging problem. Basically, I have a file with several lines (in this example 9 lines) such as: Amie, Jay, Sasha, Rob, Kay Mia, Frank Jay, Nancy, Cecil Paul, Ked, Nancy, 17, Fred 14, 16, 18, 20 9, 11 12, Frank 18, Peter, 62 Nancy, 27 A delimiter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awb221
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging similar columns in a single line file

Hi Guys. I have tried the commands sort and join. But I couldn't able to to find the command for joining in a single line based on keys.My example inputs and outputs are like the following. Help would be appreciated.:D Input file a1tabXXXXXXX a2tabXXXXXXX a6tabYYYYYYYYY a71tabXXXXXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum Value of similar lines

Hi, Pretty new to scripting sed awk etc. I'm trying to speed up calculations of disk space allocation. I've extracted the data i want and cleaned it up but i cant figure out the final step. I need to discover a Maximum value of 1 field where the value of another field is the same using awk so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imarcs
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop

I have two files like this: fileA.net A B C fileA.dat 1 2 3 and I want the output output_expected A 1 B 2 C 3 I know that the easier way is to do a paste fileA.net fileA.dat, but the problem is that I have 10,000 couple of files (fileB.net with fileB.dat; fileC.net with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines with similar tokens

I have 2 files, and I wish to count number of lines with this characteristic: if any token at line x in file1, is similar to a token at line x in file2. Here's an example: file1: ab, abc ef fg file2: ab cd ef gh In this case I wish to get 3. Note that token of file1 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting similar lines in two files

Hi, I need to compare the /etc/passwd files from 2 servers, and extract the users that are similar in these two files. I sorted the 2 files based on the user IDs (UID) (3rd column). I first sorted the files using the username (1st column), however when I use comm to compare the files there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
alex(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   alex(1)

NAME
alex - extract addresses from message headers (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
alex [+folder] [msgs] [options] OPTIONS
Accepts an address that you type in, rather than taking an address from a message. If any -field option is specified, it is ignored. Spec- ifies the name of the alias file, in which aliases are placed. You must provide a file name or a dash (-) as an argument with this option. There is no default value. If the value given for this option is -, or the option is not specified, alex will print the output to your screen. If you do not give the full pathname of your alias file, alex will look for the alias file in your Mail directory, as specified in the Path field of your file. If alex cannot locate the alias file in the directory that you specify, it will ask you whether or not you wish to create one. You can set up an alias file to be used by alex in your mh_profile(4) for more information. Like other mail commands, alex uses the Aliasfile entry to find the alias file. Prevents any repetition of the same address in the output of an alex command. You can use this option when there are multiple occurrences of an address in an address group and you want just one occurrence of it in your alias. The default is -nocompress. Specifies the name of a header field. The name of the field is not case-sensitive. If you spec- ify this option without providing an argument, the default values are: -field reply-to/sender/from/to. You can set up your own default values for the -field option in your mh_profile(4). Examples of field names are From, cc and To. You must not type a colon after the name of a field. When more field names follow, in the form /name, the message header is searched for each of the fields in turn until one is found. Only the first header field found to contain an address is used; the rest are ignored. The option -nofield excludes the named field. The special name, all, means all fields, and can be used as a value for the -nofield option to override any default order of header fields, otherwise -field values are appended to any default values. Specifies that any address replacements or appendings will apply to all occurrences of that alias name. Normally, if an alias name is entered in the alias file more than once, any actions performed by alex are performed only on the first occurrence of that alias name. The -global option ensures that any changes are made to all occurrences of the alias. Whenever this option is specified, a message is broadcast to your screen telling you how many entries in the alias file have been changed. Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Specifies the alias name for address information extracted. The alex command appends a colon (:) to the name as required by mh-alias(4). If you do not specify this option,alex will print extracted addresses to your screen. If you specify this option, you must provide an argument; there is no default value. Extracts addresses interactively. Before adding each address of a list of extracted addresses to an alias group, the mail system will ask you whether you wish the address to be added. The query prompt is written on the standard error output. The default is -noquery. Replaces existing alias with the new list of addresses. By default, if there is an existing alias with the same name as the one you are trying to create, alex appends the new address list to the old alias. If an address appears in both address groups, it is still appended, so that it appears twice in the new alias. You can specify this explicitly by using the -nore- place option. If you specify the -replace option, the new list of addresses replaces the existing group. The default is -noreplace. Specifies the maximum width of your alias file line. If an alias group extends beyond this length, it is continued on the next line, with a backslash () at end of the first line. Any X.400 addresses which are longer than the maximum line length specified by this option are automatically wrapped onto the next line. This option affects the format of each individual entry when it is implemented; any subsequent or previous entries in the alias file remain the same. The default is 72 characters. DESCRIPTION
The address line extraction utility alex extracts electronic mail addresses from message headers and prints the addresses on your screen or places them, with a specified alias name, in an alias file. By default, alex searches for addresses in the current message in the current folder. You can list the messages you wish alex to search giving a msgs argument. You can also search messages in a different folder by giving a +folder argument. You define the fields from which you want addresses by using combinations of field names with the -field option. You can also supply an address yourself as a value to the -address option. Results are printed either to your screen or to a file in mh-alias(4) format. Where there is an address group in the alias file with an alias name identical to one you have specified in an alex command, it may be replaced or the new addresses appended. A copy of the original alias file is kept. By default, alex searches the Reply-to:, Sender:, From: and To: header fields in that order until an address is found. You can set up your own default values for alex in your file; see mh_profile(4). When giving options to the alex command, generally the shortest unique abbreviation suffices. RESTRICTIONS
Because the -nofield option can take the value all as an argument, alex will not recognize a header field called All. If you wish to use such a header field, you should call it X-all. If a command line contains contradictory arguments then the last value specified is used. For example, in the following command, alex only uses the options -name fred and -noreplace: % alex -name sam -name fred -replace -noreplace EXAMPLES
This example takes the address from the From field of the current message, and places it in your alias file with the alias name bob: % alex -field from -alias aliases -name bob The following example shows what happens if you specify an alias file that does not exist. You are asked whether you want to create the file; enter y to create it: % alex -field from -name bob -alias aliases Create alias file "HOME/Mail/aliases"? y The next example takes addresses from two fields, From and cc, and saves them as the alias sales_team: % alex -field from -field cc -alias aliases -name sales_team FILES
Your user profile. SEE ALSO
ali(1), mh(1), pick(1), mh-alias(4), mh_profile(4) alex(1)