Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help removing strings from one file that match any of the values in a second file. Post 302313276 by upstate_boy on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 08:21:46 AM
Old 05-05-2009
Help removing strings from one file that match any of the values in a second file.

Hello,

I have a file that lists a few hundred values.

Example:

abca
abcb
abcc
abcd

I have a 2nd file with a few thousand lines. I need to remove every line from the 2nd file that contains any of the values listed in first file.

Example of strings to delete:

line1 *abca* end of line
line2 *abcb* end of line
line3 *abcc* end of line

I don't know enough to even venture a guess on how to accomplish this. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file to match strings

I have a file with the following format 12g data/datasets/cct 8g data/dataset/cct 10 g data/two 5g data/something_different 10g something_different 5g data/two is there a way to loop through this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yawalias
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing file lines that each match to a different patterns

I have a very large file (10,000,000 lines), that contains a sample id and a property of that sample. I have another file that contains around 1,000,000 lines with sample ids that I want to remove from the original file (create a new file without these lines). I know how to do this in Perl, but it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jo_puzzled
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings from one file which exactly match to the 1st column of other file and then print lines.

Hi, I have two files. 1st file has 1 column (huge file containing ~19200000 lines) and 2nd file has 2 columns (small file containing ~6000 lines). ################################# huge_file.txt a a ab b ################################## small_file.txt a 1.5 b 2.5 ab ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing zero values from text file

Hi all, I wrote the following code to remove the value which are 0 in the input file (a columns if numbers). awk 'BEGIN { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i) printf("%13.6e\n",$i) }' $1 >> $2 The script works if the zeros are written as 0.0000 but not as 0.000000e+00 In... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script in perl for removing strings between a file

I have file that looks like: ATOM 2517 O VAL 160 8.337 12.679 -2.487 ATOM 2518 OXT VAL 160 7.646 12.461 -0.386 TER ATOM 2519 N VAL 161 -14.431 5.789 -25.371 ATOM 2520 H1 VAL 161 -15.336 5.698 -25.811 ATOM 2521 H2 VAL 161 -13.416 10.529 17.708 ATOM 2522 H3 VAL 161 -14.363 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines with similar values from file

Hello, got a file with this structure: 33274 171030 02/29/2012 37897 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:31:26 33275 171049 02/29/2012 38132 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:35:27 33276 171058 02/29/2012 38515 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:43:26 33277 170748 02/29/2012 40685 P_KOM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krecik28
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to match strings and outputing their corresponding values

Hi I will appreciate it if you can help me out. I have a file that contains this data System Load: 3244 card: 1903 CPU: 6% card: 1904 CPU: 6% card: 1905 CPU: 28% card: 1906 CPU: 28% card: 1907 CPU: 36% card: 1908 CPU: 37% I need to manipulate and output this as system_load:3244... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match Strings between two files, print portions of each file together when matched ([g]awk)

I have two files and desire to use the strings from $1 of file 1 (file1.txt) as search criteria to find matches in $2 of file 2 (file2.txt). If matches are found I want to output the entire line of file 2 (file2.txt) followed by fields $2-$11 of file 1 (file1.txt). I can find the matches, I cannot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
cam(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cam(1)

NAME
cam - CPU'S AUDIO MIXER for Linux SYNOPSIS
cam [-v x,y] [--volume x,y] [-b x,y] [--bass x,y] [-t x,y] [--treble x,y] [-s x,y] [--synth x,y] [-p x,y] [--pcm x,y] [-S x,y] [--speaker x,y] [-l x,y] [--line x,y] [-m x,y] [--mic x,y] [-c x,y] [--cd x,y] [-M x,y] [--mixer x,y] [-a x,y] [--altpcm x,y] [-r x,y] [--reclev x,y] [-i x,y] [--igain x,y] [-o x,y] [--ogain x,y] [-l1 x,y] [--line1 x,y] [-l2 x,y] [--line2 x,y] [-l3 x,y] [--line3 x,y] [-3d 1|0] [--3dse 1|0] [-agc 1|0] [--agc 1|0] [-h] [-?] [--help] [-get] [-save] [-getfile filename] [-savefile filename] xcam DESCRIPTION
This is an audio mixer for Linux. You have the choice to use it with an interface or at the command line. OPTIONS
When using the interface you can use the following keys : LEFT ARROW decrease the volume of the current device. RIGHT ARROW increase the volume of the current device. UP ARROW go to previous device. DOWN ARROW go to next device. L locks or unlocks : unlocked : you can control the left and right channel separately. lock : left and right channel are controlled together. R turn on/off recording mode : red lamp : recording turned on green lamp : recording turned off 3 turn on/off 3D Stereo Enhancement (3DSE) device : when turned on green indicator 3D will be lit at the left side of main volume handle. A turn on/off microphone Automatic Gain Control : when turned on green indicator AGC will be lit at the left side of microphone volume handle. S save the settings of ALL devices in a file ($HOME/.camrc) G loads the saved settings and restores them. H shows the help screen. Q/ESC exits the program and returns to shell. NOTE: you can use upper or lower case. When using the command line options the interface is not shown. The following options are available : -v, --volume x,y Set 'volume' to x (left) and y (right) -b, --bass x,y Set 'bass' to x (left) and y (right) -t, --trebble x,y Set 'treble' to x (left) and y (right) -s, --synth x,y Set 'synth' to x (left) and y (right) -p, --pcm x,y Set 'pcm' to x (left) and y (right) -S, --speaker x,y Set 'speaker' to x (left) and y (right) -l, --line x,y Set 'line in' to x (left) and y (right) -m, --mic x,y Set 'microphone' to x (left) and y (right) -c, --cd x,y Set 'CD in' to x (left) and y (right) -I, --imix x,y Set 'mixer' to x (left) and y (right) -a, --altpcm x,y Set 'altpcm' to x (left) and y (right) -r, --reclev x,y Set 'record level' to x (left) and y (right) -i, --igain x,y Set 'input gain' to x (left) and y (right) -o, --ogain x,y Set 'output gain' to x (left) and y (right) -l1, --line1 x,y Set 'line 1' to x (left) and y (right) -l2, --line2 x,y Set 'line 2' to x (left) and y (right) -l3, --line3 x,y Set 'line 3' to x (left) and y (right) -3d, --3dse 1|0 Set 3D Stereo Enhancement to 1 (on) or 0 (off) -agc, --agc 1|0 Set Automatic Gain Control for microphone to 1 (on) or 0 (off) -get restore the saved values from $HOME/.camrc -save save the values to $HOME/.camrc -getfile filename restore the saved values from file 'filename' -savefile filename save the values to file 'filename' -h, -?, --help displays help NOTE: x and y are in range from 1 to 100. Higher or lower numbers are ignored. BUGS
None known as yet. If you find one, please let me know. AUTHOR
Jan 'TWP' VANDENBERGHE <jvdbergh@uia.ua.ac.be> cam(1)