Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming Files using Shell Script Post 302313133 by Ygor on Monday 4th of May 2009 11:38:37 PM
Old 05-05-2009
Try...
Code:
for i in aa?.out
do 
      mv $i ${i%.out}$(date "+_%Y%m%d.out")
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files and Renaming them + shell script

Hi, I have a problem. I have some text files in a folder. The names can be like: emp.txt emp1.txt emp3.txt 32emp4.txt What i need is i have to copy all the files which have "emp" string in their filename to a different folder and those file names... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell script for moving/deleting/renaming files

Hi. I need help with a little script that will be used to move some files to their parent directory, delete the directory, rename one file in the parent directory and delete another, then continue to the next. Here's an example: /var/media/Music/Genesis/1970 album - Trespass (2008 Box -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aflower
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for renaming files

I wanna back up the original version of files in a directory by appending .ORIG to them. I'm guessing I'd need CP and AWK in some form or fashion. Can someone give me a template? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files with a shell script

Hey guys, I'm really new to UNIX and shell scripting in general. For my internship I need to rename a bunch of files. Specifically, I need to change the first letter of each of the files to lowercase and I have to change the endings so they all basically look like "file_cone.jpg". I know I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjzieve
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming directories with shell script

Hi All after looking around the website and various other resources I become stuck. I'm trying to rename directories from Firstname Initial Lastname to lastname,_firstname_initial so far ive got for f in {./} do rename -n 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * rename -n 's/\ /_/g' * ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harlequin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell renaming files

I'm completely new to Shell scripting and I need to make a script that renames files with names like this: "aaa-b_ccc" where aaa b and ccc can change but b is a single character into files with names like this one: "ccc'_bbb'_aaa" where ccc', bbb', aaa' are values I set accordingly to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ollow
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in batch renaming files with bash shell script.

I have some 50+ files in the following format : abcd_vish_running_ZEBRA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:23 abcd_vish_running_ZEB-RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:35 abcd_vish_running_ZEB_RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:37 abcd_vish_running_RI-NG_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:42... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Help..Renaming Quoted files removing the timestamp

Hi all, i am new to this forum, unix and shell scripting. I would really appreciate if you all can help me here.. I have files coming in the below format 'filename20513'13May06:03:45 filename are characters.. like 'ABDDUT20513'13May06:03:45 i need it to be renamed as... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: khman
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for renaming and moving Files - Easy?

Hey guys, ive been working on this for about 2hrs now - without any solution. At first I need to say I dont have skills in linux bash scripting, but I tried to use some codesnippets and manuals from google. What I want to do: I have different folders including 2 different filestypes with... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter1337
15 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)