Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing output into different files while processing file using AWK Post 302313058 by devtakh on Monday 4th of May 2009 01:48:58 PM
Old 05-04-2009
Not sure, if you are looking for something like this:

Code:
 awk 'length($0) < 13 && substr($0,8,1)==""{print "ERR: " $0 > "reject.txt"}' filename

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single output of awk script processing multiple files

Helllo UNIX Forum :) Since I am posting on this board, yes, I am new to UNIX! I read a copy of "UNIX made easy" from 1990, which felt like a making a "computer-science time jump" backwards ;) So, basically I have some sort of understanding what the basic concept is. Problem Description:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kasimir
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing files using awk

Hi I have files in our UNIX directory like the below -rw-r--r-- 1 devinfo devsupp 872 Sep 14 02:09 IMGBTREE27309_12272_11_1_0_FK.idx0 -rw-r--r-- 1 devinfo devsupp 872 Sep 14 02:09 IMGBTREE27309_12272_11_0_0_PK.idx0 -rw-r--r-- 1 devinfo devsupp 432 Sep 14... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbmuruga
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

processing the output of AWK

Hi my input file is <so > < Time > <Pid> <some ro><Job Name> 111004 04554447 26817 JOB03275 MBPDVLOI 111004 04554473 26817 JOB03275 MBPDVLOI 111004 04554778 26807 JOB03276 MBPDVAWD 111004 04554779 26807 JOB03276 MBPDVAWD 111004 04554780 26817 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to manipulate a script and store it in multiple output files

I have a script where the the 9th line looks like this: $filename=sprintf("250.1chr%d.ped", $N); I want to modify this script 1000 times, changing 250.1chr%d.ped to 250.2chr%d.ped, 250.3chr%.ped.......and so on all the way to 250.1000chr%d.ped and store each output in files called ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to pipe output from one file into multiple files

Hi All. Thanks for your help in advance. I have a requirement to examine the number of delimiters in each record of a file. If the record has the expected number of delimiters it should be passed into a 'good' file. If it does not, the record should be passed into a 'bad' file. I have been able... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: codestar1
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with writing to output - awk, echo

Hello all, I wrote this command line for some calculation on my given input files based on another input file which is a txt file. while read BAM REGION; do samtools view $BAM $REGION | awk '{if ($2==0) print $0}' | wc -l >>log.txt; echo "$REGION"; done >> log.txt <regions.txt It takes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
4 Replies

7. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing the output of set -x into Log files

Hi Guys, I am using set -x in my script to track the flow of the script. But if i want to write the output of the set -x into a log file, how do i do it? Thanks, Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to output matches between two files to one file and mismatches to two others

I am trying to output the matches between $1 of file1 to $3 of file2 into a new file match. I am also wanting to output the mismatches between those same 2 files and fields to two separate new files called missing from file1 and missing from file2. The input files are tab-delimited, but the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)