Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to increase Inode numbers in Solaris 10 Post 302312992 by incredible on Monday 4th of May 2009 10:23:50 AM
Old 05-04-2009
You can either increase the size of file system using growfs or you can take the backup up the file system and then use the followign command:-

`newfs -i <nbpi> <other newfs parameters> to recreate the filesystem
"nbpi" is a confusing term but the smaller the number the more inodes in the filesystem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to increase or decrease inode number of the particular UFS filesystem

Hi Gurus I want to know the command & tips regarding, how to increase or decrease inode number of the particular ufs filesystem. Is it possible to do it in a live/production environment. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Size of an inode in Solaris 10

Can anyone know what is the size of an inode in Solaris 10 :D? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naag20
5 Replies

3. Solaris

inode table in sun solaris

Hi, I would like to is it possible to repair inode table in solaris without running fsck? I am facing this issue in root file system, because to run fsck I have to bring system in single user mode with booting cdrom media. I facing strange issue in /var/adm/messages it is showing inode table... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
12 Replies

4. Solaris

how to increase file size in solaris 10 os

hi, let me know how to increase file size in solaris 10 OS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet2muneer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk : find progressive increase in numbers

NR_037575 -0.155613339079513 -0.952655362767482 -1.42096466949375 -0.797042023687969 -1.26535133041424 -0.468309306726272 NR_037576 0.59124585320226 0.408702582537126 0.888885242203586 -0.182543270665134 0.297639389001326 0.480182659666459... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

6. Solaris

inode in solaris

Dear, How can i check inode information in my Solaris box? With Regards, Mjoshi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

increase/decrease multiple numbers in a filename.

I got a game that output map tiles of the session with the 0,0 position at the place you login/spawn. That makes making a map somewhat troublesome since the 0,0 will move. So I've been looking for a way to change the numbers in the filenames of all files in a folder by a certain value. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravenholdt
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Handling inode on solaris 9

Dear all, yesterday I had a big problem on Solaris 9. I cannot write anymore on /var. I checked the inode usage, and I see that for /var was at 100% with ifree = 0. I deleted some unused files (like old log on /var/tmp and /var/log), now I have ifree=19641 and 99% iused: root@ciy01 # df -F ufs... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
12 Replies

9. Solaris

/sbin/rc0,rc5 and rc6 having same inode numbers

Hi All, While going through the old SUN docs, it occured to me that the run level initiating scripts /sbin/rc0,rc5 and rc6 have the same inode number. I understand they perform the same fuction (call /etc/rc0.d/K* and S* scripts) but still they are three different files and not linked to each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to increase the size of rpool in Solaris 11?

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of rpool in solaris 11 in ldom. I know how to map the new LUN to LDOM after that please let me know the procedure to increase the rpool and how to identify new disk in OBP level of ldom as I need to set the new/lun to be my new boot device. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hb00
5 Replies
GROWFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 GROWFS(8)

NAME
growfs -- expand an existing UFS file system SYNOPSIS
growfs [-Ny] [-s size] special | filesystem DESCRIPTION
The growfs utility makes it possible to expand an UFS file system. Before running growfs the partition or slice containing the file system must be extended using gpart(8). If you are using volumes you must enlarge them by using gvinum(8). The growfs utility extends the size of the file system on the specified special file. The following options are available: -N ``Test mode''. Causes the new file system parameters to be printed out without actually enlarging the file system. -y ``Expert mode''. Usually growfs will ask you if you took a backup of your data before and will do some tests whether special is cur- rently mounted or whether there are any active snapshots on the file system specified. This will be suppressed. So use this option with great care! -s size Determines the size of the file system after enlarging in sectors. Size is the number of 512 byte sectors unless suffixed with a b, k, m, g, or t which denotes byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte respectively. This value defaults to the size of the raw partition specified in special (in other words, growfs will enlarge the file system to the size of the entire partition). EXAMPLES
Expand root file system to fill up available space: growfs / Resize /dev/ada0p1 partition to 2GB and expand the file system: gpart resize -i 1 -s 2G ada0 growfs -s 2G /dev/ada0p1 SEE ALSO
dumpfs(8), ffsinfo(8), fsck(8), fsdb(8), gpart(8), newfs(8), tunefs(8) HISTORY
The growfs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. The ability to resize mounted file systems was added in FreeBSD 10.0. AUTHORS
Christoph Herrmann <chm@FreeBSD.org> Thomas-Henning von Kamptz <tomsoft@FreeBSD.org> The GROWFS team <growfs@Tomsoft.COM> Edward Tomasz Napierala <trasz@FreeBSD.org> CAVEATS
When expanding a file system mounted read-write, any writes to that file system will be temporarily suspended until the expansion is fin- ished. BUGS
Normally growfs writes cylinder group summary to disk and reads it again later for doing more updates. This read operation will provide unexpected data when using -N. Therefore, this part cannot really be simulated and will be skipped in test mode. BSD
November 20, 2014 BSD