Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Bringing a nohup process to foreground Post 302312926 by amitranjansahu on Monday 4th of May 2009 05:54:14 AM
Old 05-04-2009

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup process hangs

Hi All, I tried searching for this, but I have yet to find anything useful. So here goes, if a script executed from another script with nohup & hangs, does it affect the parent script? Reason I ask, we have a windows box with NFS, and we use it to store some of our files. Currently, I mount the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sully
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bringing a process to the foreground

If i have a single file i would just press fg but if i have multiple files running in the backgound and want to bring a specific one to the foreground how would i do that? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I convert a foreground process to NOHUP ?

OS : AIX 6.1/Solaris 10 After I started running a shell script, I've realized that it will take another 5 hours to complete. Is there anyway I could convert this foreground process to run in nohup mode so that I can go home peacefully ? I have the process ID $ ps -ef | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect that foreground process is waiting for input?

Hi, I have to create a script (ksh or perl) that starts certain number of parallel jobs (another scripts), each of them runs as a foreground process in a separate session. Plus I start monitoring job that has to determine if any of those scripts is expecting input from operator, and switch to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyh80
4 Replies
nice(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   nice(1)

Name
       nice, nohup - execute a command at a lower priority

Syntax
       nice [-number] command [arguments]

nohup command [arguments]

Description
       The  command  executes command with low scheduling priority (Bourne Shell only).  If the number argument is present, the priority is incre-
       mented (higher numbers mean lower priorities) by that amount up to a limit of 20.  The default number is 10.

The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative priority, for example, `--10'.

The command executes command immune to hangup and terminate signals from the controlling terminal.  The priority is incremented by 5.   The
       command	should	be  invoked  from  the shell with an ampersand (&) in order to prevent it from responding to interrupts by or stealing the
       input from the next person who logs in on the same terminal.  The syntax of is also different.

Options
       -number		   Increments the priority by a specified number up to a limit of 20.  The default is 10.

Restrictions
       The and commands are particular to If you use then commands executed with an ampersand (&) are automatically immune to hangup signals while
       in the background.  There is a built-in command which provides immunity from terminate, but it does not redirect output to nohup.out.

The  command  is built into with a slightly different syntax than described here.  The form ``nice +10'' nices to positive nice, and ``nice
       -10'' can be used by the superuser to give a process more of the processor.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the exit status of the subject command.

Files
       nohup.out standard output and standard error file under nohup

See Also
       csh(1), getpriority(2), renice(8)

nice(1)