Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying a list of files from one 'server' to another? Post 302312917 by KiranKumarKarre on Monday 4th of May 2009 04:57:38 AM
Old 05-04-2009
File server from one server to another server

Can anyone give me complete discription of following statement as am new to Unix.

scp "file 1" "file 2" etc. remote.serverSmilieath

I want to transfer file e.g test.sh to C drive in 102.19.23.122 ,

I am tryig like
scp test.sh 102.19.23.122:C

but its not working ,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copying files between 2 Unix server

Is there a simple way to copy data from one server to a different server? Seems that if 2 servers are on the same network, there should be a simple way to copy between the two. Not just one file. I need to copy a whole directory with subdirectories from one server to a different one. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying files from one location to another based on a list

I have a text list of about 3,000 file names (image files), which exist on a server and that I want to copy over to another location. I understand the Unix cp code, but what's the string to have it copy multiple files based on an external list? Many thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebornhonest
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a list of files from one machine to another with the same path

Hello All, I would like to download a list of files from a remote server to my local machine preserving the path i.e, create a similar directory tree. ex: files on the remote machine with path /remoteserver/005_S_0221/mpr/m1/I72128/dat/06A515T.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one server to other.

Any one advice here- need to copy some files from one server to other server thru shell programming. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samkhu
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from different server

Is there any option to copy files from a different server other than using an SCP command??? thanks,:b: Arun manas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying List of Files Under Different File Names ?!

Hi to all here , Excuse me for the lamer question but I need UNIX command for copying List of Files Under Different File Names ! for example I have this list: new_001.jpg new_002.jpg new_003.jpg ..... I want to copy all files that start with "new_" to the same directory but under... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boboweb_
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from one server to another

I need to copy huge set of data(files & floder) from one server to other. Can any one guide me.I have tried throught ftp mget but it is vain...floder are not moving...... Do suggest me any good method (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the files to Windows server from UNIX server

Hi Team, I had a requirement to write a shell script which automatically transfer the files from unix server to windows server. I can able to unix to unix using Scp command. I am not sure how to do unix to windows. I am very new on this concept. Could you please help me or guide in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to remote server

I am trying to copy code to remote server, doing something like this However it is copying one file and than the script exits i=0; j=0 while read fn; do dir=${fn%/*} # Gets directory path fnm=${fn##*/} # Gets filename excl. path rgx_nwk="s/${nwk}/${nwk}.sac/g" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List all files and copying to different location

Hello All, I want to copy all files from the list below to a path /qa0/repo/AS/CPY (lnx17:qa0:/qa0/repo/AS>) ls -lrt | grep 'Feb 14' -rw-rw-r-- 1 Ks1 qa0 39 Feb 14 20:11 HHH.dat -rw-rw-r-- 1 Ks1 qa0 32 Feb 14 20:11 HHH1.dat -rw-rw-r-- 1 Ks1 qa0 29 Feb 14 20:11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies
nisping(1M)															       nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)