Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if a variable has a value assigned? Post 302312859 by cfajohnson on Sunday 3rd of May 2009 11:48:32 PM
Old 05-04-2009

Code:
if [ -z "${var+X}" ]
then
  echo var is unset
elif [ -z "$var" ]
then
  echo var is set but empty
else
  echo "The value of \$var is $var"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a variable assigned in a shell function be accessed outside

Hi I have the following script : #!/bin/ksh compare() { cat $1>t1 cat $2>t2 cy1=`cut -f13 -d'Ç' t1` cy2=`cut -f13 -d'Ç' t2` print "cy1 = $cy1" print "cy2 = $cy2" if then echo "yes" else echo "no" fi } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Missing Assigned Variable within logic operator

Hey , I'm trying to perform the following command, however it cannot read the variable assigned earlier. I'm not sure why this happen. Please help thanks while : do echo "what's ur name? (if none just press )" read name changeName = echo $name | sed "s/on/ey/" echo $changeName #this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Variable won't get assigned value

I am making of a script that will go through a couple of for loops and create file names based on the values in that loop, however the variable that combines everything is not getting assigned properly: #! /bin/bash for imod in K33_j1b_WS9_6 do for emod in mb2A mb2C mb3A mb3C mb4A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badinsults
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Command files when the output is assigned to a variable

Hi, i'm posting this in the Solaris forum although maybe it should be better in the General unix forum, I'm formatting an output witht he following command: crontab -l | grep GBOUAT8 | grep UTP | grep -i stop | sed 's/\\//' 08 2 * * 2-6 /apps/sum_glob/gbo_uat/sparse/bin/dmg_cronlaunch -ENVI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cvg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check if a variable has been assigned?

I am trying to check whether a variable has been assigned on the command line or not. Here is what I did: #!/usr/bin/bash if( $variable == '\0') { print "variable was not assigned" exit } else NF = 2 {print $1, ""} exit fi awk -f question1.awk variable = 58 letters.txt. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred63528
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Code does not run when assigned to a variable

I am more of a newbie, but wanted to post this in this forum as I was afraid no one would look at it in unix forums as it concerns shell scripting. I have a shell script that now runs fine with the exclusion of one line: x=`su nbadmin -c "ssh -t servery /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval and get awk output assigned to variable

I want to do 2 things in single line that is evaluating a command to get return code and store $2 of awk if the command exit code is 0. eval "ade desc ${filename}@@/<branch_name> | grep Version | awk '{print $2}' 2>&1 1>/dev/null" ret=$? echo "$ret $val" if then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl multiple qr assigned to variable

Experts, I'm having problems with the code below. I'm trying to test $var2 for two different regexs. I thought it could be done per below, but I'm getting the following error when running. $ ./test.pl b fed50c0100**** Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
CGI::FormBuilder::Template::CGI_SSI(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		  CGI::FormBuilder::Template::CGI_SSI(3pm)

NAME
CGI::FormBuilder::Template::CGI_SSI - FormBuilder interface to CGI::SSI SYNOPSIS
my $form = CGI::FormBuilder->new( fields => @fields, template => { type => 'CGI_SSI', file => "template.html", }, ); DESCRIPTION
This engine adapts FormBuilder to use "CGI::SSI". You can specify any options which "CGI::SSI->new" accepts by using a hashref: my $form = CGI::FormBuilder->new( fields => @fields, template => { type => 'CGI::SSI', file => 'form.shtml', sizefmt => 'abbrev' } ); In addition to CGI::SSI new arguments, you can also specify "file", "virtual", or "string" argument. The following methods are provided (usually only used internally): engine Returns a reference to the "CGI::SSI" object prepare Returns a hash of all the fields ready to be rendered. render Uses the prepared hash and expands the template, returning a string of HTML. TEMPLATES
In your template, each of the form fields will correspond directly to a "<!--#echo -->" of the same name prefixed with "field-" in the template. So, if you defined a field called "email", then you would setup a variable called "<!--#echo var="field-email" -->" in your template. In addition, there are a couple special fields: <!--#echo var="js-head" --> - JavaScript to stick in <head> <!--#echo var="form-title" --> - The <title> of the HTML form <!--#echo var="form-start" --> - Opening <form> tag and internal fields <!--#echo var="form-submit" --> - The submit button(s) <!--#echo var="form-reset" --> - The reset button <!--#echo var="form-end" --> - Just the closing </form> tag Let's look at an example "form.html" template we could use: <html> <head> <title>User Information</title> <!--#echo var="js-head" --><!-- this holds the JavaScript code --> </head> <!--#echo var="form-start" --><!-- this holds the initial form tag --> <h3>User Information</h3> Please fill out the following information: <!-- each of these <!--#echo -->'s corresponds to a field --> <p>Your full name: <!--#echo var="field-name" --> <p>Your email address: <!--#echo var="field-email" --> <p>Choose a password: <!--#echo var="field-password" --> <p>Please confirm it: <!--#echo var="field-confirm_password--> <p>Your home zipcode: <!--#echo var="field-zipcode --> <p> <!--#echo var="form-submit" --><!-- this holds the form submit button --> </form><!-- can also use "tmpl_var form-end", same thing --> As you see, you get a "<!--#echo -->" for each for field you define. However, you may want even more control. That is, maybe you want to specify every nitty-gritty detail of your input fields, and just want this module to take care of the statefulness of the values. This is no problem, since this module also provides several other "<tmpl_var>" tags as well: <!--#echo var="value-[field] --> - The value of a given field <!--#echo var="label-[field] --> - The human-readable label <!--#echo var="comment-[field] --> - Any optional comment <!--#echo var="error-[field] --> - Error text if validation fails <!--#echo var="required-[field] --> - See if the field is required This means you could say something like this in your template: <!--#echo var="label-email" -->: <input type="text" name="email" value="<!--#echo var="value-email" -->"> <font size="-1"><i><!--#echo var="error-email" --></i></font> And FormBuilder would take care of the value stickiness for you, while you have control over the specifics of the "<input>" tag. A sample expansion may create HTML like the following: Email: <input type="text" name="email" value="nate@wiger.org"> <font size="-1"><i>You must enter a valid value</i></font> Note, though, that this will only get the first value in the case of a multi-value parameter (for example, a multi-select list). Multiple values (loops) in "CGI_SSI" are not yet implemented. For more information on templates, see HTML::Template. SEE ALSO
CGI::FormBuilder, CGI::FormBuilder::Template, HTML::Template REVISION
$Id: HTML.pm 97 2007-02-06 17:10:39Z nwiger $ AUTHOR
Copyright (c) Nate Wiger <http://nateware.com>. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you may copy this under the terms of the GNU General Public License, or the Artistic License, copies of which should have accompanied your Perl kit. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-16 CGI::FormBuilder::Template::CGI_SSI(3pm)