Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Obtaining your external IP address using a Unix Utility Post 302312777 by inquen on Sunday 3rd of May 2009 10:32:56 AM
Old 05-03-2009
Thanks, using nslookup with my user name gives me my routers' IP address, and another IP address I'm not too familiar with, but it starts the same numbers in the first group, but the rest are different.

Do you know of any other utilities that would provide me with similar information?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Obtaining IP address

How can UNIX systems obtain IP addresses? Can it obtain from Win 2000 Server, DHCP service, dynamically? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raael
1 Replies

2. SCO

Looking for guidance in obtaining a job in Unix Administration

I recently took a training through a college, and have obtained the CUSA certification, but I've been looking and don't see any jobs in unix out there! Does anyone know of hidden job markets in the unix administration area, located in the Detroit - Michigan area? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkali290
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Connecting To An External Network Using A logical (PACKAGE) IP Address

Hie everyone, I am currently facing a problem whereby I can not connect to an external network from a package ip address on a HP-UX cluster. Below is the illustration: Primary Server IP Address : n.n.n.202 Secondary Server IP Address : n.n.n.212 Package IP Address : n.n.n.211 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cchilenga
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Obtaining IP address from both my network interface

HI folks, I am developing a software which one of the module is to interchange the ip address of another active network interface's when making a socket connection. I would like to know whether there is any function call that would enable me to retrieve the ip address that is obtained by a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: citiz3n
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Getting the External IP Address of your Computer and Storing it in a File

My computer is one of three computer on our LAN. Our router is a Time Capsule. My computer is the only of of three computers that has been assigned a static IP address on the LAN, because it runs an Apache installation. I tinker around with web development from time to time, and I wanted to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audacitor
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set server's ip address, router, network mask and set if it is an internal or external ip?

Hello, I need to write a program which sets server's ip address, router, network mask. Program also should set if it is an internal or external ip. Maybe someone can help me ? Any information from u is very useful :b: I stopped at .. :( #!/bin/sh A=`hostname -i` echo "server ip address is $A"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagaruika
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

mailx to external email address

Hi, How can I use "mailx" command to send message to an email address like this? echo "This email body" | mailx -s "my subject" "email@hostname.com" There may be some setup required in sendmail or postfix?? OS = Snow Leopard 10.6 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FlyingSquirrel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

External IP Address of Linux Server

Hi, I am trying to find the external IP address of a server "XXX". I logged into server "XXX" and executed nslookup XXX. output number is 123.23.23.45 Later, i have executed "curl http://whatismyip.org". This time i got a different number 611.34.63.22 Out of these two numbers, what number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forums123456
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Ping domain indicates the external ip address and not the local ip

when i execute from local machine ping domainname i get the external ip address but i am on local dns and i expect the local ip address.. using nslookup : no problem so i cannot find why... thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: activedms
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep a section from an UNIX file obtaining only part of the data

Hello, I have a log file that has several sections "BEGIN JOB, End of job" like in the following example: 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): BEGIN JOB j1(27787398-449294) JOB1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): DIGIT: 0 number of present logs : 1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
4 Replies
nslookup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      nslookup(1M)

NAME
nslookup - query Internet name servers interactively SYNOPSIS
nslookup [-option] [name | -] [server] DESCRIPTION
The nslookup utility is a program to query Internet domain name servers. It has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive mode allows the user to query name servers for information about various hosts and domains or to print a list of hosts in a domain. Non- interactive mode is used to print just the name and requested information for a host or domain. PARAMETERS
Interactive mode is entered in the following cases: 1. No arguments are given (the default name server is used). 2. The first argument is a hyphen (-) and the second argument is the host name or Internet address of a name server. Non-interactive mode is used when the name or Internet address of the host to be looked up is given as the first argument. The optional second argument specifies the host name or address of a name server. Options can also be specified on the command line if they precede the arguments and are prefixed with a hyphen. For example, to change the default query type to host information, and the initial timeout to 10 seconds, type: nslookup -query=hinfo -timeout=10 INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
host [server] Look up information for host using the current default server or using server, if specified. If host is an Internet address and the query type is A or PTR, the name of the host is returned. If host is a name and does not have a trailing period, the search list is used to qualify the name. To look up a host not in the current domain, append a period to the name. server domain lserver domain Change the default server to domain; lserver uses the initial server to look up information about domain, while server uses the current default server. If an authoritative answer can't be found, the names of servers that might have the answer are returned. root Not implemented. finger Not implemented. ls Not implemented. view Not implemented. help Not implemented. ? Not implemented. exit Exits the program. set keyword[=value] This command is used to change state information that affects the lookups. Valid keywords are: all Prints the current values of the frequently used options to set. Information about the current default server and host is also printed. class=value Change the query class to one of: IN the Internet class CH the Chaos class HS the Hesiod class ANY wildcard The class specifies the protocol group of the information. (Default = IN; abbreviation = cl) [no]debug Turn on or off the display of the full response packet and any intermediate response packets when searching. (Default = nodebug; abbreviation = [no]deb) [no]d2 Turn debugging mode on or off. This displays more about what nslookup is doing. (Default = nod2) domain=name Sets the search list to name. [no]search If the lookup request contains at least one period but doesn't end with a trailing period, append the domain names in the domain search list to the request until an answer is received. (Default = search) port=value Change the default TCP/UDP name server port to value. (Default = 53; abbreviation = po) querytype=value type=value Change the top of the information query. (Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty) [no]recurse Tell the name server to query other servers if it does not have the information. (Default = recurse; abbreviation = [no]rec) retry=number Set the number of retries to number. timeout=number Change the initial timeout interval for waiting for a reply to number seconds. [no]vc Always use a virtual circuit when sending requests to the server. (Default = novc) FILES
/etc/resolv.conf resolver configuration file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbind | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dig(1M), host(1M), named(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
nslookup and dig(1M) now report "Not Implemented" as NOTIMP rather than NOTIMPL. This will have impact on scripts that are looking for NOTIMPL. BIND 9 nslookup is deprecated and not as full featured as its former BIND 8 version. For more features and functionality refer to dig(1M). SunOS 5.11 24 Dec 2008 nslookup(1M)