Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk value return
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk value return Post 302312751 by tal on Sunday 3rd of May 2009 07:45:21 AM
Old 05-03-2009
Don't confuse with the last replay ,i posted the script twice ,start reading from the second "#!/bin/sh"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return on long awk operation

hello all I have long awk function that doing manipulations on text file but when I write the out put to new text file I have carriage return between 2 print commands How can I avoid this ? Here is my awk : echo $f | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: return values from awk

Hi. I have a script like this: nawk 'BEGIN {FS=","; TOT1=0; REJ1=0;} { if($7=="TOTAL") { TOT1=TOT1 +$8} if($7=="REJS") { REJ1=REJ1 +$8} }' FILE_123.dat and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function's return value used inside awk

I have a file with the record of person: cat > $TMP/record.txt John Torres M Single 102353 Address Mark Santos M Maried 103001 Address Carla Maria F Maried 125653 Address #!/bin/ksh ManipulateID(){ ... return 0; ... #or return 1; } cat $TMP/record.txt | awk 'BEGIN {printf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Awk Variable to Shell

I'm a bit stuck in getting variable from awk to shell. I tried searching but most of them showing to assign to shell variable via.. VAR=`echo $line | awk -F: '{print $1}'` which is correct ofcourse My problem is multiple assignments of variable like this one. The above solution will give... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk return variable

Hi I have 2 working script, now i'd like to get the return value from the first and give it to the 2 script (both script work correctly if I run it separately). so i think the problem is only the first line in the way i pass the variable. in the final the "print lst", is just to check the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

return a specific row using awk

Hello, I am using awk to process a file, and need to return a row that meets specific criteria. awk 'BEGIN{sets variables} {processes file, updates variables} END{need to print a row that meets the criteria in one of the variables} I have tried code in the END block like {print NR==var}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badPuppy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk return number of entries

I have a string with the following information and want to return the number of entries enclosed by <> in awk <stdin>: N = 441 <0.369000018/0.569000006> <0.369000018/0.569000006> <0/1> (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Print column number that return value comes from

I have the following awk script that I am using to find the max value in the file and print results. awk 'BEGIN {MAX=-1E100} {for (x=2; x<=NF; x++) if ($x>MAX) {MAX = $x; C1 = $1}} END {print substr(C1,1,11), substr(C1,13,4), substr(C1,18,2), MAX}' ABC* Input (ABC*) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to return only field with a number in it

What is an awk command to print only fields with a number in it?? Input file....... S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 001S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S,S 00219S,23S,24S,43S,47S,S,S,S,S 00319S,10S,23S,41S,43S,47S,S,S,S 00423S,41S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S 00510S,23S,24S,43S,46S,S,S,S,S 00610S,23S,43S,46S,47S,S,S,S,S... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethsays
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return path of specific tag using awk

The below awk is used with the attached index.html and matches the specific user id in the sub portion with path of /rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/. The command does run but the output is blank. Something changed in the file structure as it used to work. So using the first line in the output: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux