Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 32bit or 64 bit
Operating Systems Solaris 32bit or 64 bit Post 302312595 by jlliagre on Saturday 2nd of May 2009 03:49:35 AM
Old 05-02-2009
The main advantage of 64 bit is obviously the larger addressing space which allows a process to access more than 4 GB (eg. memory mapped file). Other advantages include faster operations when dealing with 64 bit data (eg: cryptography) and extra registers for FP.

Disadvantages includes larger binaries (typically 10 to 30%) and memory usage that made general purpose applications sometimes running slightly slower when 64 bit, the reason why most userland in Solaris is provided as 32 bit.

You cannot mix 64 bit applications with 32 bit libraries but 32 bit binaries run very well on top of a 64 bit kernel. There is no 32 bit Solaris kernel anyway for a T5220.

Have a look there for more details:
Solaris 64-bit Developer's Guide - Sun Microsystems

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

boot the 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit PPC Linux machine?

Hi all, I'm looking to cover a corner case for an upcoming test cycle. Is there a way to boot a RedHat Advanced Server 4 (update 3) installed on a Power PC machine to use a 32 bit kernel? This would be similar to what is done here -> https://www.unix.com/aix/26204-aix-platform.html I've done... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philrau
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
ddi_model_convert_from(9F)				   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				ddi_model_convert_from(9F)

NAME
ddi_model_convert_from - determine data model type mismatch SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> uint_tddi_model_convert_from(uint_t model); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
model The data model type of the current thread. DESCRIPTION
ddi_model_convert_from() is used to determine if the current thread uses a different C Language Type Model than the device driver. The 64-bit version of Solaris will require a 64-bit kernel to support both 64-bit and 32-bit user mode programs. The difference between a 32-bit program and a 64-bit program is in its C Language Type Model: a 32-bit program is ILP32 (integer, longs, and pointers are 32-bit) and a 64-bit program is LP64 (longs and pointers are 64-bit). There are a number of driver entry points such as ioctl(9E) and mmap(9E) where it is necessary to identify the C Language Type Model of the user-mode originator of an kernel event. For example any data which flows between programs and the device driver or vice versa need to be identical in format. A 64-bit device driver may need to modify the format of the data before sending it to a 32-bit application. ddi_model_convert_from() is used to determine if data that is passed between the device driver and the application requires reformatting to any non-native data model. RETURN VALUES
DDI_MODEL_ILP32 A conversion to/from ILP32 is necessary. DDI_MODEL_NONE No conversion is necessary. Current thread and driver use the same data model. CONTEXT
ddi_model_convert_from() can be called from any context. EXAMPLES
Example 1: : Using ddi_model_convert_from() in the ioctl() entry point to support both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. The following is an example how to use ddi_model_convert_from() in the ioctl() entry point to support both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. struct passargs32 { int len; caddr32_t addr; }; struct passargs { int len; caddr_t addr; }; xxioctl(dev_t dev, int cmd, intptr_t arg, int mode, cred_t *credp, int *rvalp) { struct passargs pa; switch (ddi_model_convert_from(mode & FMODELS)) { case DDI_MODEL_ILP32: { struct passargs32 pa32; ddi_copyin(arg, &pa32, sizeof (struct passargs32), mode); pa.len = pa32.len; pa.address = pa32.address; break; } case DDI_MODEL_NONE: ddi_copyin(arg, &pa, sizeof (struct passargs), mode); break; } do_ioctl(&pa); .... } SEE ALSO
ioctl(9E), mmap(9E), ddi_mmap_get_model(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 8 Feb 2001 ddi_model_convert_from(9F)