Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing \n within a fixed width record Post 302312385 by CKT_newbie88 on Friday 1st of May 2009 08:39:09 AM
Old 05-01-2009
The record delimiter is also a line feed (\n)

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a record in fixed width flatfile

I have a fixed width flatfile with 5 columns, i will load file from oracle database to the flatfile for every 15 min at the end of the file, i want to insert a record by calling a shell script for inserting a record. please can any one help me. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limou
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inserted newlines from a fileld of fixed width file.

Hi champs! I have a fixed width file in which the records appear like this 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the record of 11111 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_1
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Fixed Width Columns

Hi everyone, I have been working on a pretty laborious shellscript (with bash) the last couple weeks that parses my firewall policies (from a Juniper) for me and creates a nifty little columned output. It does so using awk on a line by line basis to pull out the appropriate pieces of each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cixelsyd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable fixed-width fields

Hi there, CTL Port IO Rate(IOPS) Read Rate(IOPS) Write Rate(IOPS) Read Hit(%) Write Hit(%) Trans. Rate(MB/S) Read Trans. Rate(MB/S) Write Trans. Rate(MB/S) 09:36:48 0 A 136 0 135 97 100 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gray380
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find lenght of fixed width file record?

actually i am trying to find the lenght of fixed width file record reading from teradata db but its not working can u guys help me out? code which i wrote--- colmn_lngth=`cat $RPT_FILE | awk -F~ '{print $1}'` rm $RPT_FILE while read line do result=`echo $line | wc -m` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seshendranath
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates in fixed width file which has multiple key columns

Hi All , I have a requirement where I need to remove duplicates from a fixed width file which has multiple key columns .Also , need to capture the duplicate records into another file . File has 8 columns. Key columns are col1 and col2. Col1 has the length of 8 col 2 has the length of 3. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining fixed width files

Hi All, I need to join fixed width files on a column which is position 1 to 3 and need to have all the records from file1 file1.txt Cu1nullL1L2 Cu2nullL1L2 Cu3nullL1L2 file2.txt Cu1B1B2 Cu3B1B2 output.txt Cu1L1B1L2B2 Cu2L1L2 Cu3L1B1L2B3 I tried but not getting the expected... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
12 Replies
makedbm(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               makedbm(1M)

NAME
makedbm - make a dbm file, or get a text file from a dbm file SYNOPSIS
makedbm [-b] [-l] [-s] [-E] [-i yp_input_file] [-o yp_output_name] [-d yp_domain_name] [-m yp_master_name] [-S delimiter] [-D num- ber_of_delimiters] infile outfile makedbm [-u dbmfilename] DESCRIPTION
The makedbm utility takes the infile and converts it to a pair of files in ndbm format (see ndbm(3C)), namely outfile.pag and outfile.dir. Each line of the input file is converted to a single dbm record. All characters up to the first TAB or SPACE form the key, and the rest of the line is the data. If a line ends with `' (backslash), the data for that record is continued on to the next line. makedbm does not treat `#' (pound-sign) as a special character. Because makedbm is mainly used in generating dbm files for the NIS name service, it generates a special entry with the key yp_last_modi- fied, which is the date of infile (or the current time, if infile is `-'). The entries that have keys with the prefix yp_ are interpreted by NIS server utilities. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Insert the YP_INTERDOMAIN into the output. This key causes ypserv(1M) to use DNS for host name and address lookups for hosts not found in the maps. -d yp_domain_name Create a special entry with the key yp_domain_name. -D number_of delimiters Specify number_of_delimiters to skip before forming the key. -E Delimiters are escaped. -i yp_input_file Create a special entry with the key yp_input_file. -l Lower case. Convert the keys of the given map to lower case, so that, for example, host name matches succeed inde- pendent of upper or lower case distinctions. -m yp_master_name Create a special entry with the key yp_master_name. If no master host name is specified, yp_master_name is set to the local host name. -o yp_output_name Create a special entry with the key yp_output_name. -s Secure map. Accept connections from secure NIS networks only. -S delimiter Specify the delimiter to use instead of the default delimiter for forming the key. -u dbmfilename Undo a dbm file. Prints out the file in text format, one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile Input file for makedbm. If infile is `-' (dash), the standard input is read. outfile One of two output files in ndbm format: outfile.pag and outfile.dir. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypserv(1M), ndbm(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Aug 1999 makedbm(1M)