Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple date formatting?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple date formatting? Post 302312367 by muay_tb on Friday 1st of May 2009 05:55:11 AM
Old 05-01-2009
Simple date formatting?

Hi guys,

I have some embedded perl within my shell script to get me the modification time/date of a file which returns me the following string:

Fri May 1 09:52:58 2009

I have managed to get the bits i need such as 1-May-2009, but what i would prefer is 010509 instead...

Here is my Perl:

Code:
get_time()
{
        perl -e '
        use File::stat;
        use POSIX qw(strftime);
        use Time::localtime;

$file="$ARGV[0]";
$date_string = scalar ctime(stat($file)->mtime);

my ($wkday,$month,$day,$time,$year) = split(/\s+/, $date_string);
print "$day-$month-$year\n";
print "file $file updated at $date_string\n";
' "$1"
}

get_time $1

Basically I'm looking for a way to get the modification time in the format 'DD-MM-YY' but have failed so far...any ideas guys??

I am using Solaris so some date functions may not be available...

Before i am re-directed to a search lol i know there are already utilties for date calc but this doesnt match any of those suggestions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

i need date in the following format December 14, 2005. With date +"%b %d, %Y" command i am getting the following output :- Dec 14, 2005. can anyone pls tell me how to get the full month name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Date format MM/DD/YYYY required is YYYYMMDD, I tried using sed but could not get it any help please. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

a simple way of converting a date in seconds to normal date

Hi all! I'm working on a HPUX system, and I was wondering if there is a simple way to convert a date from seconds (since 1970) to a normal date. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: travian
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date formatting

Running bash how do I input the date in the command line like 3/20/90 and get an output formmated like March, 20 1990. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Hi i need to have the date in the format like dd-mon-yyyy my script goes like this #!/usr/bin/bash for f in /space/can /home/lbs/current/externalcdrbackup/L_CDR_Configuration/1/200903122* ; do awk '{sum++;}END{for(i in sum) {print d,h,m,i, sum}}' "d=$(date +'%m-%d-%Y')" "h=$(date +'%H')"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Date Formatting, etc.

Hi - I'm using GeekTool to customize my desktop in OS X 10.5.8 I'm a complete novice as far as UNIX commands, just know enough to be dangerous. I have a command entered as a Shell to display my events from iCal: This makes my events show something like this: While this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patricksprague
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a date

Hi, the date value retrieved by a parameter from the table is of the format dd/mm/yyyy. please let me know how to convert this to YYYYMMDD using sed thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

Hi all Y=`date +'%Y'` M=`date +'%m'` D=`date +'%d'` if && ;then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 30` echo $yesterday else if && ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 29` echo $yesterday else if ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 27` echo $yesterday else yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D - 1` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date formatting in AIX

Can you help in formating the date command in aix to get the following format Oct 11 21:52 Fri Oct 11 21:52:01 PDT 2013 Required output: Oct 11 21:52 Fri Oct 11 21:52:01 PDT 2013 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandu123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Date Formatting help

Hi, How can i store the date + time from the output of the ls command in loop in a variable date1? -rw-rw---- 1 user1 admin 500002 Jan 2 21:24 P002607.cssI then want to convert Jan 2 21:24 to this date format 2014-01-02 21:24:00 and save it in date2 variable. Then i would like to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
Prima::Calendar(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Prima::Calendar(3)

NAME
Prima::Calendar - standard calendar widget SYNOPSIS
use Prima::Calendar; my $cal = Prima::Calendar-> create( useLocale => 1, onChange => sub { print $_[0]-> date_as_string, " "; }, ); $cal-> date_from_time( localtime ); $cal-> month( 5); DESCRIPTION
Provides interactive selection of date between 1900 and 2099 years. The main property, date, is a three-integer array, day, month, and year, in the format of perl localtime ( see "localtime" in perlfunc ) - day can be in range from 1 to 31,month from 0 to 11, year from 0 to 199. API
Events Change Called when the date property is changed. Properties date DAY, MONTH, YEAR Accepts three integers in format of "localtime". DAY can be from 1 to 31, MONTH from 0 to 11, YEAR from 0 to 199. Default value: today's date. day INTEGER Selects the day in month. firstDayOfWeek INTEGER Selects the first day of week, an integer between 0 and 6, where 0 is Sunday is the first day, 1 is Monday etc. Default value: 0 month Selects the month. useLocale BOOLEAN If 1, the locale-specific names of months and days of week are used. These are read by calling "POSIX::strftime". If invocation of POSIX module fails, the property is automatically assigned to 0. If 0, the English names of months and days of week are used. Default value: 1 See also: date_as_string year Selects the year. Methods can_use_locale Returns boolean value, whether the locale information can be retrieved by calling "strftime". month2str MONTH Returns MONTH name according to useLocale value. make_months Returns array of 12 month names according to useLocale value. day_of_week DAY, MONTH, YEAR, [ USE_FIRST_DAY_OF_WEEK = 1 ] Returns integer value, from 0 to 6, of the day of week on DAY, MONTH, YEAR date. If boolean USE_FIRST_DAY_OF_WEEK is set, the value of "firstDayOfWeek" property is taken into the account, so 0 is a Sunday shifted forward by "firstDayOfWeek" days. The switch from Julian to Gregorian calendar is ignored. date_as_string [ DAY, MONTH, YEAR ] Returns string representation of date on DAY, MONTH, YEAR according to useLocale property value. date_from_time SEC, MIN, HOUR, M_DAY, MONTH, YEAR, ... Copies date from "localtime" or "gmtime" result. This helper method allows the following syntax: $calendar-> date_from_time( localtime( time)); AUTHOR
Dmitry Karasik, <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>. SEE ALSO
Prima, Prima::Widget, POSIX, "localtime" in perlfunc, "time" in perlfunc, examples/calendar.pl. perl v5.14.2 2009-02-24 Prima::Calendar(3)