Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux does sending a signal cause task switching Post 302312355 by pfarre on Friday 1st of May 2009 03:09:59 AM
Old 05-01-2009
does sending a signal cause task switching

Hi all,

i am porting a system, that used to manipulate memory across processes using an interrupt handler - which means that upon return from the interrupt handler the memory change would be finished. I am trying to simulate this using signals on Linux 2.6.2x.

What i would like to know is wether sending a signal (ex. kill( pid , SIGUSR1 ) ) from a process will cause the kernel to perform taskswitching and put the calling process in queue, allowing the signal handler to run if it is ready?

A simplified scenario:
We have a shared memory area attached to both processes "share".

Process1:
share->variable = 0;
kill( Process2_pid , SIGUSR1 )
printf("share->variable= %d\n",share->variable);

Process2:
SIGUSR1_handler()
{
share->variable = 1;
}

It seems that the printf allways prints a "1" . Which would mean that taskswitching occurs, and that the handler in process2 has finished when process1 returns from kill().

But is this something one can rely on Running Linux 2.6.2x ?

Regards
Paul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending a signal from Unix to Windows

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I have got a Unix Server (Solaris 8) which we access over the network from a Windows NT machine using Exceed. The Unix box has Samba installed so it is very easy to send a signal from Windows to UNIX by simply creating a dummy file which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiegregg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

su (switching to other user)

Hi, what is the use of the double quotes and !! in the following code segment: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "welcome user1" EOF !! also what is the difference between below: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 and su - $USER << ""!!!> /dev/null 2>&1. Note: $USER =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjagadeesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between two users

Can any one tell me : How we can switch between two users without prompting for the password. (In the SHELL SCRIPT can we fetch the USERID and PASSWORD from a specified file, without using SUDO command)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending signal from child to parent process!

Hi All, I facing a problem in handling signals between parent process communication. I am trying to send a signal(SIGINT) from child to parent. I am using kill function to do so and I am trying to read the signal using sigaction(). But the program is ending abruptly and I am not able to figure out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

vt switching

greetings, i hope this hasn't been covered previously. has anyone heard of a .kext or daemon that would allow linux or (open)solaris-like vt switching? googling didn't help much.. i know os x allows a '>console' login from loginwindow.app, but i'm mainly interested in this because there are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bamdad
0 Replies

8. Solaris

The switching in the different AP's

HI, I am using the windows 2003 server R2 in there we are using the putty as to access the different AP's now from the primary AP i want to login to several different AP's using a script what the script will do is :- input a text file in which list of different ap's and the corresponding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amiglani
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with switching the users

Hello. I am using a instance of Centos 5.5, I currently have two users root and zetaris, but when I try to switch the user from root su zetaris or su - zetaris the next command line shows bash-3.2$ and stops there. Further there is no response from instance. Please help me with this problem. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
3 Replies

10. Programming

Switching over to C++

Hi, We've been using a perl script to extract datas from several logs to generate a report. I've been asked to rewrite the code in C++. I want to know if it is wise to have a code in C++ and will it be more faster than Perl? (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ribosome
23 Replies