Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot boot in single-user mode Post 302312290 by System Shock on Thursday 30th of April 2009 09:57:28 PM
Old 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSol
I just tried "init S" but it did come up in multi-user mode...
Ok, I'm stumped Smilie

Have you checked your inittab file? Do you have another box that's working normally, so you can compare the inittabs?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

5. AIX

Boot in Single-Mode

Hi All, I have AIX 5.1 & I forgot the root password. I find out the solution is to boot in single-mode and remove the root password from the /etc/passwd file. My question is how to boot in single-mode? Also is there any password required when booting in this mode? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to boot in single user mode

My machine is a HP-UX 11iV2. I want to boot it in the single user mode. Any ideas? Regards (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sube
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot on single user mode with net services

Hi everybody, I'm running soalris 10, and I would like to know if it posible to boot on single user mode(init s), and then set up (may be manually or not) all the networks services, did someone try this before?? Tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jespada
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
vboxgetty(8)						    Linux System Administration 					      vboxgetty(8)

NAME
vboxgetty - isdn voice box (getty) SYNOPSIS
vboxgetty [OPTION] [OPTION] [...] DESCRIPTION
Vboxgetty is the heart of vbox: it watches the isdn system and waits for incoming voice calls, OPTIONS
-f, --file FILE Config file to use. Default is the file '/etc/isdn/vboxgetty.conf'. -d, --device TTY ISDNdevice to use. You must use this option! -h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. CONFIGURING VBOX
vboxgetty should be started from the init process. To do this you need one line per vboxgetty in /etc/inittab like this one: I5:2345:respawn:'/usr/sbin'/vboxgetty -d /dev/ttyI5 The next step is to set up a working configuration for all ports in /etc/isdn/vboxgetty.conf: read vboxgetty.conf(5) how to do this and look at the example config file in /usr/share/doc/isdnvboxserver/examples. You should then create the spool directories for each user: /var/spool/vbox/<user>, /var/spool/vbox/<user>/incoming and /var/spool/vbox/<user>/messages. Copy the example config files vbox.conf and standard.tcl from /usr/share/isdnvboxserver/default/ to /var/spool/vbox/<user>, read the man pages vbox.conf(5) and vboxtcl(5) and edit these config files. Change the owner of all files in /var/spool/vbox/<user> with "chown <user>.<group> /var/spool/vbox/<user> -Rv" and correct the permissions with "chmod o-rwx,g-rwx /var/spool/vbox/<user> -Rv". The last step: run "init q" to force init to reread /etc/inittab HOW IT WORKS
For each line in /etc/inittab one vboxgetty is started by init. Make sure the first field (ID) and the device file are different. Each vboxgetty does this: First /etc/isdn/vbox.conf is read, the global settings are loaded and then the port specific settings. Then vboxgetty waits for an incoming call. On an incoming call vboxgetty reads /var/spool/vbox/<user>/vbox.conf (unless you change that name), and vboxgetty determines if it should take that call or how many RINGs it should wait. It also gets the name of the standard message, beep message, timeout message, if these should be played and an alias for the current caller, if there is one. If vbox has waited enough RINGs and the caller is still ringing, it takes the call and starts the tcl script /var/spool/vbox/<user>/stan- dard.tcl (unless you change that name), and this script will do the rest (normally: play standard and beep message, record and then play timeout message). FILES
/etc/isdn/vboxgetty.conf default config file /etc/inittab init starts vboxgetty via this file. /etc/isdn/vboxgetty.conf the global vbox config file /var/spool/vbox/<user>/vbox.conf the per user configuration file for this port /var/spool/vbox/<user>/standard.tcl the tcl script used to communicate with the caller /var/run/vboxgetty-<device>.pid process id of the vboxgetty /var/log/vbox/vboxgetty-<device>.log logfile of the vboxgetty SEE ALSO
vboxgetty.conf(5), vbox.conf(5), vboxtcl(5), isdntime(5) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>, for Debian GNU/Linux and isdn4linux. ISDN 4 Linux 3.25 2000/09/15 vboxgetty(8)