Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sorting a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sorting a file Post 302312264 by vgersh99 on Thursday 30th of April 2009 07:09:18 PM
Old 04-30-2009
you cannot 'tee' to the same file you're sort-ing.
Code:
sort -u diff1.txt | tee diff1_sorted.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help sorting file.

Hi, I have this file (filex) 07-11-2003 10:11:12!cccc!ddd!eeeeeeee 07-11-2003 09:11:11!dddd!kkkkk!xxxxxx 09-12-2003 14:18:43!aaaa!bbbbb!cccc where I need to sort it by date+time in this order: 09-12-2003 14:18:43!aaaa!bbbbb!cccc 07-11-2003 10:11:12!cccc!ddd!eeeeeeee 07-11-2003... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting file

hi everyone, i have a document where i have email addresess and names, i need to check if the email addresses are uniq, if they repeat erase one of them, how can i do that? document sample: aD00763357@cucei.udg.mx,ABRAHAM ANTONIO SEVERIANO a199721111@cucei.udg.mx,ABRAHAM GONZALEZ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
4 Replies

3. Programming

regarding file sorting

i ahve a file like: ************************************* sree 122132 12321 *********************************** phani 21321 3213214 ****************************** dddsds 213213123 23213213 ******************************* i want to sort the file with respect to name how we can do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file sorting

i have a data in afile like this ************************************** sree sree@yahoo.com 98662323432 ************************************* phani phani@yahoo.com 98662323344 ************************************* i want to sort the file with respect to name. how can i do this. thank... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file

I have the file as follow: A: 60 B: 80 C: 40 D: 11 E: 100 I want to sort the file and get the output to file as follow: E: 100 B: 80 A: 60 C: 40 D: 11 Could any one help me please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moutaz1983
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting s file

how would i sort a file on the third column based on numerical value instead of the ASCII order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting data in file based on field in another file

Hi, I have two files, one of which I would like to sort based on the order of the data in the second. I would like to do this using a simple unix statement. My two files as follows: File 1: 12345 1 2 2 2 0 0 12349 0 0 2 2 1 2 12350 1 2 1 2 2 2 . . . File2: 12350... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

9. Solaris

What about sorting a 5G file?

Hi Guys, My client (dear clients, I hate to love you) has the funky idea of sorting a 5G flat file. Certainly enough, this is taking forever and also fulls the / of our machine. Any idea of how we could proceed to make this a little bit more efficient? Maybe by forcing sort to "stay in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Sorting a file

Hi Unix Admins, I wanted to sort a file in a specific order, i.e the input file contains two fields and the first column is not unique and had to be sorted. example Input File ------- 2014-10-21:Rand1 2014-11-02:Rand2 2014-11-02:Rand3 2014-11-02:Rand4 2014-11-03:Rand5 2014-11-04:Rand6... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveenezone
4 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-09-15 TEE(2)