Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror Post 302312232 by Lespaul20 on Thursday 30th of April 2009 05:27:14 PM
Old 04-30-2009
ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one.

What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other issues of one over the other?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sun mirror

I have a solaris 9 machine which I would like to mirror it system disk using disk suite but my sun solaris machine has one internal disk which has the OS installed on. I have spare external disk of the same size, is it possible to mirror and internal disk with external disk using disk suite? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
3 Replies

2. Solaris

zfs mirror disk

Is it possible to create a Mirror with zfs ?? I'm experimented user with Solstice Disk suite. Or Sun Volume manager or veritas volume manager. But, i would like switch from Disksuite to Zfs. All my mirrored disks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

3. AIX

Resizing VG with mirror

Dear Friends, I would like to know if there is any chance to expand a Volume Group, If this VG have a mirror. If there is any chance to do this what would be the safer way to avoid lost any data. Sorry about my English.:D Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrispaz
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Resyncing Progress of hardware mirror

Hi, I've recently mirrored the 4 disks in a V440. Disks 0 + 1 have been mirrored with hardware mirroring using the command raidctl -c c1t0d0 c1t2d0, the other 2 disks have been mirrored using Soltisce Disk Suite. I know how to check the progress for the SDS mirroring but how can I find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chains
2 Replies

5. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS: devices have slipped out of their mirror

Hi there, I had 6 disks configured as the ZFS equivalent of a RAID 1+0 (3 sets of mirrors concatenated) pool: POOL1 state: ONLINE scrub: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM POOL1 ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Splitting rpool mirror disk in ZFS

Hi, I have Solaris-10 (release-7) box without any non global zone. I have a very critical change after couple of days from application side. For safer side, we want to keep few level of backups just in case of faliure. This server is having three pool root@prod_ddoa01:/# zpool list NAME SIZE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to split a zfs/zpool mirror for backout purposes?

Hello, I am upgrading Veritas from 5.1 to 6.0.1/6.0.5 in a Solaris 10 u8 server with OS mirrored (rpool) in zfs/zpool configuration. I need to split it to have a quick way to backout in case of failure (make splitted mirror side bootable for a quick revert, like booting from it). I remember... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
3 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD