Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Posix threads
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Posix threads Post 302312090 by fpmurphy on Thursday 30th of April 2009 10:33:55 AM
Old 04-30-2009
You need to create your threads as joinable i.e.

Code:
pthread_attr_t attr;
pthread_attr_init(&attr);
pthread_attr_setdetachstate(&attr, PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE);
pthread_create( &thread1, &attr, thread_function, (void*)&nico1);

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Posix queues

Hi! Everybody%) I got a question like this: Does my FreeBSD5.1 support Posix queues. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamazi
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read POSIX?

how to read POSIX? poe six or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
3 Replies

3. Programming

POSIX threads

Hello ! Let's supose I have a main function in C , and two POSIX threads. I give you an example down : int main() { int something; char else; void *FirstThread(); void *SecondThread(); .. <start those two pthreads ..> return 0;} void *FirstThread() { ... } void *SecondThread()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: !_30
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

5. Programming

Posix

HI, When i am configuring php in SUN Solaris. I am getting the below error. configure: error: Your system seems to lack POSIX threads. Do i need to install POSIX? If so can somebody let me know where can i download POSIX for Solaris 8? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

6. Programming

POSIX threads and data safety

I created multiple POSIX threads (on readhat Linux) in a C program in my app. What I am doing is - I am creating threads equal to the number of CPUs in the system and and equal number of instances of a certain data structure, basically a queue implementation. I am assigning one ID to the thread... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
2 Replies

7. Programming

need help with posix threads

Hi, I am new to posix threads. The no of threads to be created depends on the runtime. If I get the number of threads, I need to forward declare pthread_t mythread; how to do that can I use pointers and use malloc()?? I also have another question. The pthread_join is used to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brett01
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linkage of POSIX threads function calls

I wonder if someone knows what is the rationale behind linking function calls of the POSIX threads library at link-time vs. run-time. For example, if I create the following program: #include <pthread.h> void noop() { return; } int main() { pthread_self(); pthread_atfork(noop,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsimsa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change value for POSIX

Hi, I have a VM with following configration . 3.10.0-693.1.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 3 08:15:31 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux My current POSIX is :-- Your environment variables take up 2011 bytes POSIX upper limit on argument length (this system): 2093093 POSIX smallest... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhayman
15 Replies
PTHREAD_ATTR_SETDETACHSTATE(3)				     Linux Programmer's Manual				    PTHREAD_ATTR_SETDETACHSTATE(3)

NAME
pthread_attr_setdetachstate, pthread_attr_getdetachstate - set/get detach state attribute in thread attributes object SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_attr_setdetachstate(pthread_attr_t *attr, int detachstate); int pthread_attr_getdetachstate(pthread_attr_t *attr, int *detachstate); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_attr_setdetachstate() function sets the detach state attribute of the thread attributes object referred to by attr to the value specified in detachstate. The detach state attribute determines whether a thread created using the thread attributes object attr will be created in a joinable or a detached state. The following values may be specified in detachstate: PTHREAD_CREATE_DETACHED Threads that are created using attr will be created in a detached state. PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE Threads that are created using attr will be created in a joinable state. The default setting of the detach state attribute in a newly initialized thread attributes object is PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE. The pthread_attr_getdetachstate() returns the detach state attribute of the thread attributes object attr in the buffer pointed to by detachstate. RETURN VALUE
On success, these functions return 0; on error, they return a nonzero error number. ERRORS
pthread_attr_setdetachstate(3) can fail with the following error: EINVAL An invalid value was specified in detachstate. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
See pthread_create(3) for more details on detached and joinable threads. A thread that is created in a joinable state should eventually either be joined using pthread_join(3) or detached using pthread_detach(3); see pthread_create(3). It is an error to specify the thread ID of a thread that was created in a detached state in a later call to pthread_detach(3) or pthread_join(3). EXAMPLE
See pthread_attr_init(3). SEE ALSO
pthread_attr_init(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_detach(3), pthread_join(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-03 PTHREAD_ATTR_SETDETACHSTATE(3)