Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Add Environment variable in C/C++ Post 302311971 by vino on Thursday 30th of April 2009 05:13:59 AM
Old 04-30-2009
Do you have any code snippet that you have already written ?

You need to use getenv. Look into man getenv. It explains what to do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable

Hello, I need some help to understand system and user environment files, such as .profile and others. I can edit my .profile file in my home directory. What I only touch in this file is the $PATH variable and when I am logged in under a telnet session, the PATH that I specify is used and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobsa
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on environment variable

what is the environment variable used for getting the <machine name> . hello $LOGNAME,welcome to <??> I want to print the machine name in the place of <??> Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehuldoshi
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment Variable

$ . oraenv (when i type this at the prompt) ORACLE_SID = ? ( I get this) I understand that . oraenv is a startup script and it has the ENV variable ORACLE_SID. But pls let me know what more it explains and also how to change the env variable here. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variable

First of all I am using C shell. I have a variable destDirectory that holds a path. the path includes an environment variable($user) when I try to execute a command within the script, the $destDirectory gets replaced with the path, but the environment variable is not replaced. I end up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable

Hi, I have to set bunch of variables and all other programs like make, perl will use them .. Here are my constraints and requirements ... The variables have to be set by executing a script that runs in c shell. I cannot source the script since people who use this script might be on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Environment variable

Hello, For the moment, my LC_ALL variable is set as "" by default. If I want to change this value, I do : export LC_ALL="en_fr" for example. That I want to know it's : how can I set by default this value ? I want to save it on my profile in order to get it when I open my session... :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

about environment variable

i am not clear at some places i saw that assigning a env var with colon ':' like export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:.:/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin here you can find : and a . and again : could some one explain how it works... see all is starting from root directory, how : is used and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable

Hi! Ok, so I'm no programmer and I have basically no experience in these stuff. However I need to work on a thing (I think you call it Framework) called Root. It's a tool used by physicists. In the manual they keep talking about Environment variable. Even thou I searched for what it is on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirwit
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Environment Variable

Hi All, I am new to SUN Solaris.I have some questions regarding environment variable.:confused: Q1. Where the environment variables available in Solaris. Q2. What command used here. Q3. Can a user change this .Suppose i want to change the bash to ksh can it be possible here. Or i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies
catopen(3C)															       catopen(3C)

NAME
catopen(), catclose() - open and close a message catalog for reading SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function opens a message catalog and returns a catalog descriptor. The specifies the name of the message catalog being opened. A con- taining a slash specifies a path name for the message catalog. Otherwise, the environment variable is used (see environ(5)). If specifies more than one path, returns the catalog descriptor for the first path on which it is able to successfully open the specified message cata- log. If does not exist in the environment, or if a message catalog cannot be opened for any path, uses a system-wide default path. The default is affected by if the value of is If the value of is zero, the default is affected by the environment variable See environ(5) for details. If is invoked from or programs with owner root, the environment variable is not directly used to locate message catalogs. Instead, the paths which are available both in the configuration file and environment variable are considered to locate message catalogs. See nlspath(4) for details. Example: If the environment variable is set to: and the configuration file has an entry: only path is considered for locating catalog files. This feature is provided only for backward compatibility for those or root programs which are depending on the environment variable. All new or root programs should not depend on the environment variable and should only use absolute path names. A message catalog descriptor remains valid in a process until the process closes it or until a successful call to one of the functions. A change in the setting of the category may invalidate existing open catalogs. A file descriptor is used to implement the message catalog descriptor and the close-on-exec flag is set for the message catalog descriptor (see fcntl(2)). If is zero, the environment variable is used to locate the catalog. If is the category is used to locate the message catalog only if a successful call to has been made prior to the call to The result of setting to any other value is undefined. The function closes the message catalog a message catalog descriptor returned from an earlier successful call to RETURN VALUE
Upon success, returns a message catalog descriptor. Otherwise, returns a value of (nl_catd)-1 and sets to indicate the error. Upon success, returns zero. Otherwise, returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails without opening a message catalog and sets for the last path attempted under any of the following conditions: A component of the path prefix denies search permission, or read permission is denied for the named file. The maximum number of file descriptors allowed are currently open. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. The system file table is full. The named catalog does not exist or the path is null. A component of the path prefix is not a directory. can be used to provide default messages when called following a failed (see catgets(3C)). returns its parameter if it is passed an invalid catalog descriptor. fails if the following is true: is not a valid open message catalog descriptor. WARNINGS
When using does not provide a default value for AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. FILES
Include file containing native language types. Message catalog default path for core HP-UX products only. SEE ALSO
fcntl(2), catgets(3C), setlocale(3C), nlspath(4), environ(5), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
catopen(3C)