Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find, Replace & Edit a string? Post 302311710 by Sepia on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 10:48:46 AM
Old 04-29-2009
Thanks for that!

Not sure how I can go about changing the Apr into a 4 and Jan into a 1 and so on...

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace

I get a text file with 70+ columns (seperated by Tab) and about 10000 rows. The 58th Column is all numbers. But sometimes 58th columns has "/xxx=##" after the numeric data. I want to truncate this string using the script. Any Ideas...:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagansharma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

improving my script (find & replace)

Hi all, I have a script that scan files, find old templet and replace it with new one. #!/bin/ksh file_name=$1 old_templet=$2 new_templet=$3 # Loop through every file like this for file in file_name do cat $file | sed "s/old_templet/new_templet/g" > $file.new #do a global searce and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir_yosha
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search & Replace

Hey, I want to have a C program which, for an existing file supplied by the command line argument (E.g. File1.txt) replaces all the occurrences of the words: "We” or “we” by “I” “a” by “the” “A” by “The”. Then print the replaced file. All other characters of the file are to be left... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IwishIknewC
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi search & replace ... having '/' in string - problem.

I want to carry out search & replace for the paths mentioned in the file with the help of vi. 'abc/' to be replaced by 'abc/data' When I use command in vi as below - %s/abc//abc/data/g it gives me an error. How we should deal with '/' part in string for vi search & replace? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & incremental replace?

Looking for a way using sed/awk/perl to replace port numbers in a file with an incrementing number. The original file looks like... Host cmg-iqdrw3p4 LocalForward *:9043 localhost:9043 Host cmg-iqdro3p3a LocalForward *:10000 localhost:10000 Host cmg-iqdro3p3b LocalForward... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treadwm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to replace a string & its current value with a new value

Hi All, i am trying to replace a string & its current value (P_JOBID =1000 for eg) in a file with a new value(P_JOBID =2000) through sed command. File name : A.txt Command I am trying : `cat $path/A.txt | grep ${P_JOBID} | sed -e s/P_JOBID=/P_JOBID="$JobID"/g` Output Expected :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Replace

Hi I am looking to rename the contents of this dir, each one with a new timestamp, interval of a second for each so it the existing format is on lhs and what I want is to rename each of these to what is on rhs..hopefully it nake sense CDR.20060505.150006.gb CDR.20121211.191500.gb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX find string in directory and filetype and replace string

Hi, Here's my dilemma. I need to replace the string Sept_2012 to Oct_2012 in all *config.py files within the current directory and below directories Is this possible? Also I am trying to find all instances of the string Sept_2012 within files in the current directory and below I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
13 Replies
textutil::string(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::string(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::string - Procedures to manipulate texts and strings. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::string ?0.7? ::textutil::string::chop string ::textutil::string::tail string ::textutil::string::cap string ::textutil::string::uncap string ::textutil::string::longestCommonPrefixList list ::textutil::string::longestCommonPrefix ?string...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::string provides miscellaneous string manipulation commands. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::string::chop string A convenience command. Removes the last character of string and returns the shortened string. ::textutil::string::tail string A convenience command. Removes the first character of string and returns the shortened string. ::textutil::string::cap string Capitalizes the first character of string and returns the modified string. ::textutil::string::uncap string The complementary operation to ::textutil::string::cap. Forces the first character of string to lower case and returns the modified string. ::textutil::string::longestCommonPrefixList list ::textutil::string::longestCommonPrefix ?string...? Computes the longest common prefix for either the strings given to the command, or the strings specified in the single list, and returns it as the result of the command. If no strings were specified the result is the empty string. If only one string was specified, the string itself is returned, as it is its own longest common prefix. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
capitalize, chop, common prefix, formatting, prefix, string, uncapitalize textutil 0.7 textutil::string(n)