Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to access the elements of two arrays with a single loop using the inbuilt index. Post 302311576 by lavascript on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 05:02:56 AM
Old 04-29-2009
Couple of things.

in is not a variable in the for num in loop.
I wouldn't use num in the loop as you have it declared for an array. Basically accessing $num will access element 0 of the array.

What about :-

Code:
#!/bin/bash

declare -a num
declare -a words

num=(1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
words=(one two three four five six seven)

for var in ${num[@]}
do
        echo ":${num[$var]}: :${words[$var]}:"
done

That's without any testing. Also you will hit a problem as 1 and one will be assigned to element 0 of the array and not element 1.

I've just got a meeting but will check back and test later. It may get you started though

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

which access right should set in my webpage index.html ?

I have a webpage, http://my.dns.com/~zp523/index.html, I want all people to have read and execute privileges. I want to extend it with execute privilege. Which command should be used in chmod? is it only give read(r) & execute(x) parameter in 'chmod ??? index.html' thk a lot!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zp523444
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing single elements of a awk array in END

How do I access one of the indices in array tst with the code below? tst=sprintf("%5.2f",Car / 12) When I scan thru the array with for ( i in tst ) { print i,tst } I get the output of: vec-7 144 But when I try this in the END print tst It looks like it's not set. What am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP arrays as array elements

PHP question...I posted this on the Web Development forum, but maybe this is a better place! I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating through two arrays in a single loop

Hey everyone. Is it possible to use two arrays in a loop? Basically what I am trying to do is iterate through the elements in an array, and, based on a condition, use the current position in the array to point to that index in the array. Here's the loop structure I'm looking for: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file index operation in loop

i have one file which contains data like the below DE_CODE|AXXANY|APP_NAME|TELCO|LOC|NY DE_CODE|AXXATX|APP_NAME|TELCO|LOC|TX DE_CODE|AXXABT|APP_NAME|TELCO|LOC|BT DE_CODE|AXXANJ|APP_NAME|TELCO|LOC|NJ DE_CODE|AXXANJwt|APP_NAME|TELCO|LOC|WT am going use a for loop or whole loop which will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple arrays elements using awk

I need your help to discover missing elements for each box. In theory each box should have 4 items: ITEM01, ITEM02, ITEM08, and ITEM10. Some boxes either have a missing item (BOX02 ITEM08) or might have da duplicate item (BOX03 ITEM02) and missing another one (BOX03 ITEM01). file01.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:: Arrays w/ UInt64.max>index>Int64

Where is the delete or remove post option? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: f77hack
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum elements of 2 arrays excluding labels

I'm looking for an efficient way to sum elements from 2 arrays using AWK and preserve header as well as sample names in the output array. I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. For example; ARRAY 1 SAMPLE DERIVED ANCESTRAL Sample1 14352 0 Sample2 14352 0 Sample3 14352 0 Sample4 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiply elements of 2 arrays together into another array

So I need to Write an array processing program using a Linux shell programming language to perform the following. Load array X of 20 numbers from an input file X. Load array Y of 20 numbers from an input file Y. Compute array Z by multiply Xi * Yi then compute the square-root of this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarapham409
2 Replies
Num(3o) 							   OCaml library							   Num(3o)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2012-06-26 Num(3o)