Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Help with resizing partitions Post 302311065 by forte712 on Monday 27th of April 2009 08:53:04 PM
Old 04-27-2009
Thanks for the reply.

I have created a third partition, add it as an LVM physical volume and extended the volume group, using this instructions:

Logical Volume Manager: How can I extend a Volume Group? | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Code:
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14       24321   195254010   8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda3           24322       30401    48837600   8e  Linux LVM

How do I check whether or not I can resize my existing partitions?
vgdisplay says that the volume group is resizable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

filesystems resizing

I want to resize my filesystem partitions. Reason is that I have 11GB of disk space unused by Unix which divvy reveals. Is there a way I could resize my filesystems without doing a reinstallation. The secondary problem is that the boot image is too large for a diskette (5MB). I'm running SCO... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshokunbi
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resizing slices

I downloaded the Solaris recommended patched for x86 and tried to install it, but I got the message that I dont have enough disk space. I don't want to install the patches without the option to back out. Anyway I did a df -k and found that my root mount point is in 948MB whereas my /export/home is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Resizing file

is there anything such as "resizing file for optimal disk usage" if so, whats it about? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

4. AIX

Resizing VG with mirror

Dear Friends, I would like to know if there is any chance to expand a Volume Group, If this VG have a mirror. If there is any chance to do this what would be the safer way to avoid lost any data. Sorry about my English.:D Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrispaz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resizing of ctelnet window

Hi, How can I resize the ctelnet window in Solaris? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Parition Resizing

Is there a way to take space from the /opt slice (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5) and then put it in the /var (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1)? In theory, I should be able to ufsdump /opt and /var to another drive. Use disk label to resize those two slices (ex. take 10G from opt and add to /var) and then newfs and dump back... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

7. Solaris

vxfs online resizing

Hi, I have two filesystems called /u009 and /u008. I need to release 60gb from /u009 and add it to /u008 fs through fsadm command.. these are vxfs filesystem..its urgent.. thanx in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Resizing a disk

I'm used to using AIX but a new box running Solaris I need a little help with. The disk are presented from a SAN, the disk needing to change is presented as 148GBs drive which was allocated to a file system as the same. I need to change that without losing any data. I know I can change the disk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltlawnman
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

Some doubts about resizing fs's in HP-UX

Hello, I'm new to HP-UX and I'm not sure about some concepts related to resizing fs's under this OS. First of all I'm only asking about resizing ONLINE, it means, without having to umount the fs nor rebooting, etc. Q1. I've read that in order to resize a fs online there are 2 requirements:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
3 Replies
BACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BACKUP(8)

NAME
backup - backup files SYNOPSIS
backup [-djmnorstvz] dir1 dir2 OPTIONS
-d At top level, only directories are backed up -j Do not copy junk: *.Z, *.bak, a.out, core, etc -m If device full, prompt for new diskette -n Do not backup top-level directories -o Do not copy *.o files -r Restore files -s Do not copy *.s files -t Preserve creation times -v Verbose; list files being backed up -z Compress the files on the backup medium EXAMPLES
backup -mz . /f0 # Backup current directory compressed backup /bin /usr/bin # Backup bin from RAM disk to hard disk DESCRIPTION
Backup (recursively) backs up the contents of a given directory and its subdirectories to another part of the file system. It has two typ- ical uses. First, some portion of the file system can be backed up onto 1 or more diskettes. When a diskette fills up, the user is prompted for a new one. The backups are in the form of mountable file systems. Second, a directory on RAM disk can be backed up onto hard disk. If the target directory is empty, the entire source directory is copied there, optionally compressed to save space. If the target directory is an old backup, only those files in the target directory that are older than similar names in the source directory are replaced. Backup uses times for this purpose, like make. Calling Backup as Restore is equivalent to using the -r option; this replaces newer files in the target directory with older files from the source directory, uncompressing them if necessary. The target directory con- tents are thus returned to some previous state. SEE ALSO
tar(1). BACKUP(8)