Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot boot in single-user mode Post 302311061 by StarSol on Monday 27th of April 2009 08:11:47 PM
Old 04-27-2009
Cannot boot in single-user mode

I have Sun 240 server with Solaris 8 installed. I go to OBP and try to boot in single-user mode but it is getting hung in the middle and the only way to get out of this situation is by going to the LOM and resetting the server. Here is what is happening:

{0} ok boot -s

SC Alert: Host System has Reset

SC Alert: CRITICAL ALARM is set
Probing system devices
Probing memory
Probing I/O buses

Netra 240, No Keyboard
Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.22.19, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #75049468.
Ethernet address 0:14:4f:79:29:fc, Host ID: 847929fc.

Rebooting with command: boot -s
Boot device: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/disk@0,0 File and args: -s
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-45 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_trans failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_raid failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_sp failed
Hardware watchdog enabled
Restoring uplink0 configuration
Linking uplink0 to bge0 as link A
upLink v1.2.5r00
upLink instance 0 ether 00:02:bb:aa:aa:00
upLink instance 1 ether 00:02:bb:aa:aa:01
NOTICE: Recognized a 'bge' interface
Linking uplink0 to ce0 as link B
Restoring uplink1 configuration
Linking uplink1 to bge1 as link A
NOTICE: Recognized a 'bge' interface
Linking uplink1 to ce1 as link B
configuring IPv4 interfaces: uplink0 uplink1.
Hostname: greenwood

Nothing comes up after that. It is then when I go to the LOM (#.) and reset the server. Can anyone help troubleshoot this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

5. AIX

Boot in Single-Mode

Hi All, I have AIX 5.1 & I forgot the root password. I find out the solution is to boot in single-mode and remove the root password from the /etc/passwd file. My question is how to boot in single-mode? Also is there any password required when booting in this mode? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to boot in single user mode

My machine is a HP-UX 11iV2. I want to boot it in the single user mode. Any ideas? Regards (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sube
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot on single user mode with net services

Hi everybody, I'm running soalris 10, and I would like to know if it posible to boot on single user mode(init s), and then set up (may be manually or not) all the networks services, did someone try this before?? Tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jespada
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
obpsym(1M)						  System Administration Commands						obpsym(1M)

NAME
obpsym - Kernel Symbolic Debugging for OpenBoot Firmware SYNOPSIS
modload -p misc/obpsym DESCRIPTION
obpsym is a kernel module that installs OpenBoot callback handlers that provide kernel symbol information to OpenBoot. OpenBoot firmware user interface commands use the callbacks to convert numeric addresses to kernel symbol names for display purposes, and to convert kernel symbol names to numeric literals allowing symbolic names to be used as input arguments to user interface commands. Once obpsym is installed, kernel symbolic names may be used anywhere at the OpenBoot firmware's user interface command prompt in place of a literal (numeric) string. For example, if obpsym is installed, the OpenBoot firmware commands ctrace and dis typically display symbolic names and offsets in the form modname:symbolname + offset. User interface Commands such as dis can be given a kernel symbolic name such as ufs:ufs_mount instead of a numeric address. Placing the command forceload: misc/obpsym into the system(4) file forces the kernel module misc/obpsym to be loaded and activates the kernel callbacks during the kernel startup sequence. obpsym may be useful as a kernel debugger in situations where other kernel debuggers are not useful. For example, on SPARC machines, if obpsym is loaded, you may be able to use the OpenBoot firmware's ctrace command to display symbolic names in the stack backtrace after a watchdog reset. Kernel Symbolic Name Syntax The syntax for a kernel symbolic name is: [ module-name : ] symbol-name Where module-name is the name of the kernel module that the symbol symbol-name appears in. A NULL module name is taken as "all modules, in no particular order" by obpsym. The module name unix is equivalent to a NULL module name, so that conflicts with words defined in the firmware's vocabulary can be avoided. Typically, OpenBoot firmware reads a word from the input stream and looks the word up in its internal vocabulary before checking if the word is a literal. Thus, kernel symbols, such as reset may be given as unix:reset to avoid the unexpected side effect of the firmware find- ing and executing a matching word in its vocabulary. FILES
/etc/system system configuration information file /platform/platform-name/kernel/misc/obpsym ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kadb(1M), kernel(1M), modload(1M), modunload(1M), uname(1), system(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
Some OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may use system resources incompatibly with the way they are used by the Unix kernel. These commands and the use of this feature as a kernel debugger may cause interactions that the Unix kernel is not prepared to deal with. If this occurs, the Unix kernel and/or the OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may react unpredictably and may panic the system, or may hang or may cause other unpredictable results. For these reasons, the use of this feature is only minimally supported and recommended to be used only as a kernel debugger of "last resort". If a breakpoint or watchpoint is triggered while the console frame buffer is powered off, the system can crash and be left in a state from which it is difficult to recover. If one of these is triggered while the monitor is powered off, you will not be able to see the debugger output. NOTES
platform-name can be found using the -i option of uname(1) obpsym is supported only on architectures that support OpenBoot firmware. On some systems, OpenBoot must be completely RAM resident so the obpsym symbol callback support can be added to the firmware, if the firmware doesn't include support for the symbol callbacks. On these systems, obpsym may complain that it requires that "you must use ram- forth to use this module". See the for details on how to use the ramforth command, how to place the command into nvramrc, and how to set use-nvramrc? to true. On systems with version 1.x OpenBoot firmware, nvramrc doesn't exist, and the ramforth command must be typed manually after each reset, in order to use this module. Once installed, the symbol table callbacks can be disabled by using the following OpenBoot firmware command: 0 0 set-symbol-lookup SunOS 5.11 13 Dec 2001 obpsym(1M)