Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting background processing in BASH Post 302311033 by wpeckham on Monday 27th of April 2009 05:10:25 PM
Old 04-27-2009
Other ways

This is bash we are talking about, there are ALWAYS other ways!

One might be to write a pipe for each child process, let the child feed its pipe, and let the parent read them. This is WAY overkill for your example, and there are opportunities for failure, but I have used it successfully. Google for examples.

You might consider defining the child processes as functions instead of scripts, then you do not have the extra I/O.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

2. Linux

background processing in BASH

I have script 3 scripts 1 parent 2 children child1 child2 In the code below the 2 child processes fire almost Instantaneously in the background, Is that possible to know the status of pass/fail of each process "as it happens" ? In the present scenario although Child2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash tee and background threads

Running centos 2.6, I have a bash script in which I'd like to run a number of background threads in parallel, tee'ing the results of the entire script to one file, while tee'ing the result of each background thread to another. Here's what I'm doing, where the number of csv files control the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heatlamp
1 Replies

4. Programming

Unix Shell background processing

So I made my own unix shell, but i want to make a background process when using the & appended to the end, so far most of the commands seem to work (except cd, but thats another story) right now here is what I have got. Im thinking maybe I shouldn't be using switch and maybe switch it to... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mercfh
27 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background tasks in a loop (bash)

I am trying to use a loop to start tasks 0-3, running 0,1,2 in the background with &. FOLDSET=( 0 1 2 3 ) for FOLDSET in ${FOLDSET} do if ; then BACKGRD="&" else BACKGRD="" fi # start task $FOLDSET task1 -nogui -ni -p $PROJ \ epochs=$EPOS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Handling background processes - distributed processing

NOTE: I am using BASH and Solaris 10 for this. Currently in the process of building a script that has a main "watcher" daemon that reads a configuration file and starts background processes based on it's global configuration. It is basically an infinite loop of configuration reading. Some of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcarrion87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress a background message in Bash

I'm having trouble with part of this bash script in Linux where I respawn a new instance of script and kill the old one to prevent forking (Yes, I know 'exec' will not fork but this needs to be interactive) When the old instance is kill it pops up "Terminated!" in the middle of the new instance... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel processing in bash?

Hi Say I am interested in processing a big data set over shell, and each process individually takes a long time, but many such processes can be pipe-lined, is there a way to do this automatically or efficiently in shell? For example consider pinging a list addresses upto 5 times each. Of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plink (processing multiple commands) using Bash

I'm completely brand new to bash scripting (migrating from Windows batch file scripting). I'm currently trying to write a bash script that will automatically reset "error-disabled" Cisco switch ports. Please forgive the very crude and inefficient script I have so far (shown below). It is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKANET
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Bash script that runs in the background and checks for mails...

Hello! I have got a homework. The bash script runs in the background and checks the user's mailbox and when the user gets a new mail a popup window appears with some text and information about the sender (from who and when).I have no idea how to start, any help would be appreciated! Thank you:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: capo2ndfret
1 Replies
XtManageChildren(3Xt)						     MIT X11R4						     XtManageChildren(3Xt)

Name
       XtManageChildren, XtManageChild, XtUnmanageChildren, XtUnmanageChild - manage and unmanage children

Syntax
       typedef Widget *WidgetList;

void XtManageChildren(children, num_children)
	  WidgetList children;
	  Cardinal num_children;

void XtManageChild(child)
	  Widget child;

void XtUnmanageChildren(children, num_children)
	  WidgetList children;
	  Cardinal num_children;

void XtUnmanageChild(child)
	  Widget child;

Arguments
       child	 Specifies the child.

children  Specifies a list of child widgets.

num_children
		 Specifies the number of children.

Description
       The function performs the following:

o    Issues an error if the children do not all have the same parent or if the parent is not a subclass of

o    Returns immediately if the common parent is being destroyed; otherwise, for each unique child on the list, ignores the child if it
	    already is managed or is being destroyed and marks it if not.

o    If the parent is realized and after all children have been marked, it makes some of the newly managed children viewable:

-	 Calls the change_managed routine of the widgets' parent.

-	 Calls on each previously unmanaged child that is unrealized.

-	 Maps each previously unmanaged child that has map_when_managed

Managing children is independent of the ordering of children and independent of creating and deleting children.	The layout routine of the
       parent should consider children whose managed field is and should ignore all other children.  Note that some composite widgets, especially
       fixed boxes, call from their insert_child procedure.

If the parent widget is realized, its change_managed procedure is called to notify it that its set of managed children has changed.  The
       parent can reposition and resize any of its children.  It moves each child as needed by calling which first updates the x and y fields and
       then calls if the widget is realized.

The function constructs a of length one and calls

The function performs the following:

o    Issues an error if the children do not all have the same parent or if the parent is not a subclass of

o    Returns immediately if the common parent is being destroyed; otherwise, for each unique child on the list, performs the following:

-	 Ignores the child if it already is unmanaged or is being destroyed and marks it if not.

-	 If the child is realized, it makes it nonvisible by unmapping it.

o    Calls the change_managed routine of the widgets' parent after all children have been marked if the parent is realized.

does not destroy the children widgets.  Removing widgets from a parent's managed set is often a temporary banishment, and, some time later,
       you may manage the children again.

The function constructs a widget list of length one and calls

See Also
       XtMapWidget(3Xt), XtRealizeWidget(3Xt)
       X Window System Toolkit: The Complete Programmer's Guide and Specification, Paul J. Asente and Ralph Swick
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XtManageChildren(3Xt)