Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture actual error message when a command fails to execute Post 302310732 by giannicello on Sunday 26th of April 2009 09:21:33 PM
Old 04-26-2009
It sounds like you just want to capture the value of '$?':

Code:
ls -l abc.txt >/dev/null
rc=$?
if [[ $rc -ne 0 ]]; then
  echo "Error was: $rc" >> errorlog.txt
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Prgram to capture Log message.

Hi All, I have a log file which consists of log messages as follows -> GLOBALCALLID_CLUSTERID_B NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER JOINONBEHALFOF NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER Record 1: Rejected - Error on table IFA_MMV_CDR, column CDRRECORDTYPE.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture status code and echo a message

Im trying to execute application and its return code is below IF Status code=o echo "........" else Staus Code =-2 DJRE then echo "......" Can any one help me how to handle the status code and echo some message. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
12 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing gcc - recieve error message gcc : cannot execute

AIM- Install Oracle 11g on Solaris using VMWare Steps 1.Logged on as root 2.Created subfolders à /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/bin/gcc 3.Downloaded gcc & libiconv & unzipped them on my harddrive & burnt them on CD 4.Copied files from CD to /usr/local/bin/gcc 5.Terminal (root) à pkgadd -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print error and exit if command fails?

Guys any tips on printing a certain error message to stderr and exiting should a command fail within a ksh script? I'm trying to null some output files. Touch isn't suitable as i need to null them. print "" > file isn't suitable as i need to check elsehere for if they are 0bytes or not. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Capture system call error message.

Hi, I googled a bit, but could not find the answer to my problem. But I am sure it is a common issue. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; sub remsh_test() { my $host = $_; printf "\n----\n\n"; printf "remsh to $host with system call\n"; my $result = system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nightly job error message when trying to execute script

Hello All, I am getting the following error message when trying to execute the following script. AWK=/usr/bin/awk TR=/usr/bin/tr SED=/usr/bin/sed CAT=/usr/bin/cat MAILFILE=/home//nightly_jobs.tmp mailto=xxx@gmail.com Nigh_Status = `db2 "select TYPE from ETL.LOCK where STATUS <> 0 and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture all error message in Log file and send the Log file by email

Hi I have a requirement to write a script to capture all errors in a Logfile and send the file in email. If there is any error occurred the subject of email will be ERROR , If there are no error occurred the subject of email will be SUCCESS. So I created a Log file and put the Appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Multiple Scripts and Capture Log Details

Hi All, I have a requirement to execute multiple scripts (say 4) one after the other in one script and capture log details and error messages in a log file below LOG_FILE= FILE.`date ++"%Y%m%d%H:%M:%S"` Script 1 : File_Checkr.sh Script 2 : Pre_Validation.sh Script 3 : Testing.sh Script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh fails from one server only with expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY message

I have two linux servers viz 12.7.44.18 and 12.7.45.18 I wish to ssh from both these server to a destination AiX server 12.7.33.18 The ssh works from 12.7.44.18 -> 12.7.33.18 but fails from 12.7.45.18 -> 12.7.33.18 The openssl version on both linux source 12.7.44.18 and 12.7.45.18 is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)