Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture actual error message when a command fails to execute Post 302310732 by giannicello on Sunday 26th of April 2009 09:21:33 PM
Old 04-26-2009
It sounds like you just want to capture the value of '$?':

Code:
ls -l abc.txt >/dev/null
rc=$?
if [[ $rc -ne 0 ]]; then
  echo "Error was: $rc" >> errorlog.txt
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Prgram to capture Log message.

Hi All, I have a log file which consists of log messages as follows -> GLOBALCALLID_CLUSTERID_B NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER JOINONBEHALFOF NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER Record 1: Rejected - Error on table IFA_MMV_CDR, column CDRRECORDTYPE.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture status code and echo a message

Im trying to execute application and its return code is below IF Status code=o echo "........" else Staus Code =-2 DJRE then echo "......" Can any one help me how to handle the status code and echo some message. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
12 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing gcc - recieve error message gcc : cannot execute

AIM- Install Oracle 11g on Solaris using VMWare Steps 1.Logged on as root 2.Created subfolders à /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/bin/gcc 3.Downloaded gcc & libiconv & unzipped them on my harddrive & burnt them on CD 4.Copied files from CD to /usr/local/bin/gcc 5.Terminal (root) à pkgadd -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print error and exit if command fails?

Guys any tips on printing a certain error message to stderr and exiting should a command fail within a ksh script? I'm trying to null some output files. Touch isn't suitable as i need to null them. print "" > file isn't suitable as i need to check elsehere for if they are 0bytes or not. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Capture system call error message.

Hi, I googled a bit, but could not find the answer to my problem. But I am sure it is a common issue. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; sub remsh_test() { my $host = $_; printf "\n----\n\n"; printf "remsh to $host with system call\n"; my $result = system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nightly job error message when trying to execute script

Hello All, I am getting the following error message when trying to execute the following script. AWK=/usr/bin/awk TR=/usr/bin/tr SED=/usr/bin/sed CAT=/usr/bin/cat MAILFILE=/home//nightly_jobs.tmp mailto=xxx@gmail.com Nigh_Status = `db2 "select TYPE from ETL.LOCK where STATUS <> 0 and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture all error message in Log file and send the Log file by email

Hi I have a requirement to write a script to capture all errors in a Logfile and send the file in email. If there is any error occurred the subject of email will be ERROR , If there are no error occurred the subject of email will be SUCCESS. So I created a Log file and put the Appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute Multiple Scripts and Capture Log Details

Hi All, I have a requirement to execute multiple scripts (say 4) one after the other in one script and capture log details and error messages in a log file below LOG_FILE= FILE.`date ++"%Y%m%d%H:%M:%S"` Script 1 : File_Checkr.sh Script 2 : Pre_Validation.sh Script 3 : Testing.sh Script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh fails from one server only with expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY message

I have two linux servers viz 12.7.44.18 and 12.7.45.18 I wish to ssh from both these server to a destination AiX server 12.7.33.18 The ssh works from 12.7.44.18 -> 12.7.33.18 but fails from 12.7.45.18 -> 12.7.33.18 The openssl version on both linux source 12.7.44.18 and 12.7.45.18 is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
elcsd.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						     elcsd.conf(5)

Name
       elcsd.conf - error logging configuration file

Description
       The  file  contains information used by the daemon to configure error logging for the system.  The system manager maintains this file.  The
       error logging daemon is dependent on the current order of the entries in the file.  Do not change the order.

The information in the file shows any defaults and describes what you can enter.  A newline is used to delimit each entry in  the  file,  a
       null entry consists of a newline alone, and comments begin with #.
       #
       #    elcsd - errlog configuration file
       #

{	   # delimiter DON'T remove or comment out!
       1	   # status 1-local,2-logrem,4-remlog,5-remlog+priloglocal
		   # errlog file size limit num. of blocks
       /usr/adm/syserr # errlog dir. path
		   # backup errlog dir. path
       /	   # single user errlog dir. path
       /usr/adm/syserr # log remote hosts errlog dir. path
		   # remote hostname to log to
       }	   # delimiter DON'T remove or comment out!
       #  hosts to log :S - separate file or :R - remotes file (together)
       remote1:S
       remote2:S
       #remote3:S	   # disabled
       remote4:S
       The status line of the file describes where you can log error packets, also called error messages:

Logs error packets locally =
		   1, the default.

Logs error packets from a remote system or systems to the local machine =

Logs local and remote error packets locally =

Logs error packets from the local system to a remote system =

Logs error packets from the local system remotely and logs high
		   priority messages locally = 5.

The  errorlog  file  size  defines  the	maximum size of an errorlog file.  If disk space is limited, you can specify the maximum number of
       blocks (512 bytes each) you want the errorlog file to be.  If you do not specify the maximum number of blocks, the system will  notify  you
       when the file system is 98% full.

The  default  errorlog  directory path is You can direct error packets to a different directory; if you do, you must change the default for
       also. For further information, see

If the error-logging daemon cannot write to the primary errorlog directory path, it attempts to log to the backup errorlog  directory  path
       automatically.

The  root  directory  is  the default for the single-user errorlog directory path.  When the system makes the transition to multiuser mode,
       errors logged in single-user mode are transferred to the default errorlog directory path  You  can  direct  single-user	error  packets	to
       another directory.

To log error packets from a remote system locally, set up an errorlog directory path on the local system.  The default is

Errorlog  packets  from	remote systems can be logged to separate files or to one file.	S sets up a separate errorlog file for each remote
       system that logs locally.  R logs packets from the corresponding remote system to the file syserr.remotes.  The default is S.

Restrictions
       You must have superuser privileges to change the file.  However, anyone can view the file.

Files
       elcsd daemon messages

See Also
       elcsd(8), eli(8), uerf(8)
       Guide to the Error Logger System

elcsd.conf(5)