Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New Approach Hiding login password from ps -ef Post 302310251 by methyl on Friday 24th of April 2009 06:49:08 AM
Old 04-24-2009
radoulov post shows how not to place the Oracle username and password on the command line ... which makes it not visible in "ps".

To stop "ps" for a particular user, try alias in their profile. Ensure that root owns the profile to stop the user making changes.

Code:
alias ps='false'

Last edited by methyl; 04-24-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Typo

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password from ps

I'm calling a program with a command line arguement containing a password. while the process is running anyone on the system can ps -ef and see the password. Is there a way to prevent this from happening. example PROGRAM USERNAME/PASSWD I've also tried PROGRAM `cat passfile` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudojo
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding login/password in process!

Hello, I am trying to figure out away to hide a command from users when performing a ps check. I have a ksh that purges a table in a database. If I perform a >ps -eaf |grep ksh, I get the login id and password. I do not want other users seeing this. Is there a way to hide this. The login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hiding password for FTP in a script

Hi, I have a simple script to ftp from unix to a mainframe to get and put files. Currently I have the password setup in a VARS file and dereference the var in my script. Doing it this way allws me to change the password in only one place but it is still viewable for many people. Is there any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cass3
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding Password

Hello. A bit of a puzzle here: I have a 3rd party executable, which requires the following parameters: parm1 = program_name, parm2=userid/password, parm3=additional flags. We tried passing password as a variable, but you can do grep, and see what the password actually is I found a bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kishinevetz
2 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH Password-less login fails on password expiry.

Hi Gurus I have a few Sol 5.9 servers and i have enabled password less authentication between them for my user ID. Often i have found that when my password has expired,the login fails. Resetting my password reenables the keys. Do i need to do something to avoid this scenario or is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting help/advise on hiding/masking username/password

Hi, I currently have a UNIX script with a function that uses a username and password to connect to the database, retrieve some information and then exit. At the moment, am getting the username and password from a hidden plain text file and permission set to -r--------, i.e. read only to who... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote call not hiding password fields

Not sure on the description, but here is a quick rundown. I have 2 servers, we'll call them serverA serverB On serverB, I am calling a script that inside it has the following: ssh srvdsadm@serverB sudo -u dsadm /opt/apps/DataStage/scripts/autoDeploy.sh ${projName} ${subProjVar}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password hiding in UNIX

Hi guys, I use STTY command to make the password invisible. Now I need to write the password into another file pwd.txt, but in an invisible manner, something like ******. Another thing is to when I echo the content of pwd.txt I get the password I actually typed. Thanks guys. Help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies
NWBOLS(1)							      nwbols								 NWBOLS(1)

NAME
nwbols - List NetWare Bindery Objects SYNOPSIS
nwbols [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -t type ] [ -o pattern ] [ -v ] DESCRIPTION
nwbols lists the specified NetWare Bindery Objects visible for the user. nwbols looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbols prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -t type You can restrict the objects listed by specifying the type of the objects to be listed. type must be given as a decimal number. -o pattern Specifying a pattern is another way to restrict the objects listed. Please note that this pattern is evaluated by the NetWare server. grep would be a better candidate for complex patterns. -v By default, the object's name, its ID and its type are listed by nwbols. In the verbose mode, activated by -v, the object flags, its security byte and the properties flag is also listed. AUTHORS
nwbols was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbols 7/9/1996 NWBOLS(1)