Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting automatically change owner and group Post 302310250 by borderblaster on Friday 24th of April 2009 06:45:39 AM
Old 04-24-2009
automatically change owner and group

We have a program that when a new account is created using the webpage it creates a new directory on the linux filesystem for the account. The problem is the process that creates the directory is as root user, as I want ftpuser to be able to login I have to manually login and chown -R the /opt/account directory.

drwxr-xr-x 4 ftpuser ftpuser 4096 Sep 12 2007 1
drwxr-xr-x 4 ftpuser ftpuser 4096 Apr 24 08:18 10
drwxr-xr-x 4 ftpuser ftpuser 4096 Sep 12 2007 1002
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Sep 12 2007 1003
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Sep 12 2007 1004
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Sep 12 2007 1005

What the best way to fix this. I was think a script ran in cron, but this is only ran once a minute and not ideal. Another idea was use the watch command with a nohup in the background.

Any help appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change owner and group of a linux file

Hi, I don't know how the owner & group of a login file in redhat linux 7.2 changed to bache like, -rwxr-xr-x 1 bache bache 17740 Jun 20 02:05 login I am trying to change the owner and group to root by using #chown root login #chgrp root login But i am getting the error ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy owner permissions to group

Hi, I need a command or a script to change the group permissions to be the same as the owner permissions for all my files and directories (recursive) any idea ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
4 Replies

5. Solaris

setfacl don't change permission on group owner

I try to use setfacl command to change the permission of the group primary it does not accept the command , it really accept but don't change the permission on the group. the point here I read that if I use chmod command on group primary the mask changed, but if I use setfacl mask should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting group and owner with mkdir?

Hi, As root, I want to create a directory and set the group and ownership permissions at the same time with one command, instead of making the directory, then going back and doing a chown and chgrp. I don't see an option for this in the mkdir man page. Would I pipe chown and chgrp with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose123
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

owner Permission changed automatically

HI all, We had created new user using the command useradd -d /home/selva -s /usr/local/bin/bash selva. But it didnt created the home directory on /home. So i manually created, copied skel files manually and changed the owner from root to selva. At the same time i observed that so many files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaforum
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

10. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies
ST_SNAPSHOT(1)							      systraq							    ST_SNAPSHOT(1)

NAME
st_snapshot - calculate checksum and stat ownership and permissions of files SYNOPSIS
ST_SUM=sha256sum st_snapshot patterns homepatterns DESCRIPTION
st_snapshot calculates checksums and stats ownership and permissions of critical system files. This script is typically run in either root-mode or public-mode. Running this script in root-mode requires root priviliges. One is adviced to set up a dedicated user account for running this script in public mode. In root-mode, the files snapshot_root.list and snapshot_root.homelist are typically passed as arguments. These pattern files are read by the script and contain names of files and directories; listing a directory in such a pattern file is equivalent to listing all files which live in the directorytree with this directory as root. snapshot_root.list could e.g. read # snapshot_root.list - files and directories we wanna get # monitored: we wanna get a note once these files, or any file # under these directories, gets created, gets rm-ed, gets # permissions or contents changed. these notices will not # include the possibly secret contents of these files # # this file gets read by st_systraq /etc/group /etc/gshadow /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.equiv /etc/lilo.conf /etc/passwd /etc/postfix/server.pem /etc/shadow /etc/skel /etc/ssh Equivalent files snapshot_pub.list and snapshot_pub.homelist should be on the system. These files should contain all worldreadable to be monitored files. This allows for running this script as root only in those cases where it's needed: when reading files, readable for root only. The homelist files contain files and directories which should get monitored for every homedirectory on the system. snapshot_pub.homelist could e.g. contain: .profile .cshrc .tcshrc .login .logout .bash_profile .bashrc .exrc .nexrc As a special case, when the environment variable ST_OPHOMES is set to a non-empty string (typically when running in public mode), we stat the permissions on all homedirectories themselves. The produced snapshot is printed to stdout. The output when running in public mode could look like: # ownership and permissions of homedirs drwxr-xr-x root root /bin drwxr-xr-x root root /dev drwxr-sr-x root staff /home drwxr-sr-x joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb drwxr-xr-x root root /usr/sbin drwxr-xr-x root root /var # sha256sum of critical pub files 4d3cd13d6dbc10e2e3ccb9477cbc9eb9b76302454c276d5771ae0b10a5fbb4d2 /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub eb8d83e0246f761a21bdfb13a03fac634ed7c3b7dde4c2efddd7b2838d32596f /var/qmail/alias/.bashrc 4e371f9a11f5a2464d3d5c952e58e24f73b377d33767ed93b2082fcb59a647fe /etc/zlogin # ownership and permissions of critical pub files -rw-rw-r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/id_rsa.pub -rw-r--r-- joostvb joostvb /home/joostvb/.ssh/authorized_keys ENVIRONMENT
ST_OPHOMES - non-empty in case permissions on all homedirectories should be printed ST_SUM - command for calculating file checksums. E.g. sha256sum, sha512sum, sha384sum, sha224sum or sha1sum. SEE ALSO
The systraq manual. VERSION
This manpage: $Id: st_snapshot.pod 374 2008-12-14 08:47:32Z joostvb $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 Joost van Baal This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html or write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb-systraq-20041015@mdcc.cx> 20081217 2008-12-15 ST_SNAPSHOT(1)