Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions How to: Linux BOX in Windows Domain (w/out joining the domain) Post 302309983 by regmaster on Thursday 23rd of April 2009 11:02:40 AM
Old 04-23-2009
How to: Linux BOX in Windows Domain (w/out joining the domain)

Dear Expert,

i have linux box that is running in the windows domain, BUT did not being a member of the domain. as I am not the System Administrator so I have no control on the server in the network, such as modify dns entry , add the linux box in AD and domain record and so on that relevant.

now, i have problem with the following:

1. not able to ping by hostname, only by IP.
2. not able to setup samba share or browse via http://linuxbox from windows machine.
3. not able to ftp via from windows pc to linux box. (ftp is running)

but i m able to setup the linuxbox to be ssh "server" so that i able to run x from windows and play with shell.

linuxbox is in the same network ip range.

is there any possibilities to do resolves the above issue WITHOUT joining the domain?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux as a Domain Controller

First question, can Linux be configured to be the domain controller on a network with Microsoft computers? If so, where can I find information about configuring Linux for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

2. Linux

Linux Domain

hello, i am new to linux and i wanna to know to how to create a Domain on linux system. i guess i have to workout with some ypserver.* files but i am not sure. any suggestions. thanks in advance... cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining UNIX to a Windows2003 Domain

Hey everyone, We have a Windows2003 Domain here at my workplace. I'm getting ready to switch over our bottom floor to the new domain. Will they still be able to see our UNIX machine that is setup now (on our workgroup) or will I need to join the UNIX machine to the domain. If that is the case... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duki
4 Replies

4. AIX

Sync AIX system time with Windows Domain Controller

Yeah so, I have setup a domain controller (windows 2003) active directory machine and it is managing couple of windows servers and workstation. I also have couple of AIX machines that need to have the same time as other windows server and workstation hanging off of that domain controller. Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murderfly
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Samba: Authenticating and joining AD domain as a member

Hi all, I'm having some problems with joining an active directory domain as a member. My Linux servers using the same configuration across the board are all joining as domain controllers, which is bad. I am running Samba 3.0.25b-0.4E.6 on all of my RHEL servers. Here is my global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bert
1 Replies

6. Linux

Adding linux system into windows domain

Hi i need to add linux system into windows network .Tell me the procedure if anybody know. Thanks & Regards, Veerababu. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veerababu
1 Replies

7. Linux

Mail drops into spam box of yahoo from a single domain

The mails are reaching from all my domains (hosted in same server) to yahoo properly when tested. But all the mails from a particular domain out of many domains hosted in the server sent to yahoo reaches yahoo's spam box. The host says that this problem is nothing to do with them since it works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lampscholar
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add Linux host to Windows domain

Hi, I want to know the commands for adding a linux host to windows active directory domain. Request you to please help. Thanks & Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining the Linux server to a Windows AD domain

Hi , I have a domain contoso.com, which is created by Windows AD, i have a linux server which i want to join to this domain. Linux server-: RHEL 5.3 ******Info of the windows domain************* AD server- Windows 2008 r2 server. Please help me to join this linux server to the windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shroh
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to create domain controller in Linux for windows client?

Hi Team I have configured a linux dns server locally. Its fully working on linux clients but not windows client as its can't ping host by name. someone told me to create domain controller for working this to windows client as well. I am new in linux and not aware how to create the domain and add... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: boby.kumar
8 Replies
nisserver(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisserver(1M)

NAME
nisserver - set up NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -g NIS+_groupname] [-l network_passwd] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] -d NIS+_domain [ -g NIS+_groupname] [ -h NIS+_server_host] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -h NIS+_server_host] DESCRIPTION
The nisserver shell script can be used to set up a root master, non-root master, and replica NIS+ server with level 2 security (DES). If other authentication mechanisms are configured with nisauthconf(1M), nisserver will set up a NIS+ server using those mechanisms. nisauth- conf(1M) should be used before nisserver. When setting up a new domain, this script creates the NIS+ directories (including groups_dir and org_dir) and system table objects for the domain specified. It does not populate the tables. nispopulate(1M) must be used to populate the tables. OPTIONS
-d NIS+_domain Specifies the name for the NIS+ domain. The default is your local domain. -f Forces the NIS+ server setup without prompting for confirmation. -g NIS+_groupname Specifies the NIS+ group name for the new domain. This option is not valid with -R option. The default group is admin.<domain>. -h NIS+_server_host Specifies the hostname for the NIS+ server. It must be a valid host in the local domain. Use a fully qualified hostname (for example, hostx.xyz.sun.com.) to specify a host outside of your local domain. This option is only used for setting up non-root master or replica servers. The default for non-root master server setup is to use the same list of servers as the parent domain. The default for replica server setup is the local hostname. -l network_password Specifies the network password with which to create the credentials for the root master server. This option is only used for master root server setup (-r option). If this option is not specified, the script prompts you for the login password. -M Sets up the specified host as a master server. Make sure that rpc.nisd(1M) is running on the new master server before this command is executed. -R Sets up the specified host as a replica server. Make sure that rpc.nisd is running on the new replica server. -r Sets up the server as a root master server. Use the -R option to set up a root replica server. -v Runs the script in verbose mode. -x Turns the echo mode on. The script just prints the commands that it would have executed. Note that the commands are not actually executed. The default is off. -Y Sets up a NIS+ server with NIS-compatibility mode. The default is to set up the server without NIS-compatibility mode. USAGE
Use the first synopsis of the command (-r) to set up a root master server. To run the command, you must be logged in as super-user on the server machine. Use the second synopsis of the command (-M) to set up a non-root master server for the specified domain. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are setting up. The new non-root master server machine must already be an NIS+ client (see nisclient(1M)) and have the rpc.nisd(1M) daemon running. Use the third synopsis of the command (-R) to set up a replica server for both root and non-root domains. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are replicating. The new non-root replica server machine must already be an NIS+ client and have the rpc.nisd daemon running. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting up Servers To set up a root master server for domain sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d sun.com. For the following examples make sure that the new servers are NIS+ clients and that rpc.nisd is running on these hosts before executing nisserver. To set up a replica server for the sun.com. domain on host sunreplica: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d sun.com. -h sunrep To set up a non-root master server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunxyz with the NIS+ groupname as admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunxyz -g admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com. To set up a non-root replica server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunabc: sunxyz# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunabc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismkdir(1), nisaddcred(1M), nisauthconf(1M), nisclient(1M), nisinit(1M), nispopulate(1M), nisprefadm(1M), nis- setup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 13 Dec 2001 nisserver(1M)