Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grepping characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping characters Post 302309873 by anushree.a on Thursday 23rd of April 2009 05:43:28 AM
Old 04-23-2009
Thank you guys... It worked fine.. extracted exactly what i wanted... Thank you very much

Anushree.a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

Hi I was wondering if it's possible to use a command to get the first 3 characters of a line in a text file, I tried grep but it returns the whole line but I am only interested in the first 3 characters. Is this possible with grep or I need any other command? Also is it possible deleting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

give this a try and let me know if it works grep '^' filename rachael (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachael
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping

Is there a way to grep for something and then print out 10 lines after it. for example if I want to grep for a word, then output the following 10 or whatever number of lines after the word. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping around

Using shell scripts, I use grep to find the word “error” in a log file: grep error this.log. How can I print or get the line 3 lines below the line that word “error” is located? Thanks in advance for your response. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeauty
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping issue..

I found another problem with my disk-adding script today. When looking for disks, I use grep. When I grep for the following disk sizes: 5242880 I also pick up these as well: 524288000 How do I specifically pick out one or the other, using grep, without resorting to the -v option? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on grepping

Hi All, I have a log file and I want to parse the logfile with a script.A sample text is shown below: I would grep on "return code " on this file. Any idea how the lines above and below the grep patterns could also be extracted. Thanks! nua7 The runLoggingInstall return code is 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for hex characters - explanation?

Hello, Yesterday I was looking for a way to grep for a tab in the shell, and found this solution in several places: grep $'a' # Grep for the letter 'a' between two tabs I'm fine with most of this, but I don't understand what the $ (dollar sign) before the first quote does. It doesn't work... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping in Perl

Hello Friends, I have a password file at /etc/password.bak in which the fields are present in the below format i.e. each field is seperated by ":" vbjr3:x:1007:1007:student users:/home/vbjr3:/bin/bash dbhyt2:x:1008:1008:student users:/home/dbhyt2:/bin/bash bbwe3:x:1009:1009:student... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravi Tej
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
YYFIX(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  YYFIX(1)

NAME
yyfix -- extract tables from y.tab.c SYNOPSIS
yyfix file [tables] DESCRIPTION
Programs have historically used a script (often named ``:yyfix'') to extract tables from the yacc(1) generated file y.tab.c. As the names of the tables generated by the current version of yacc(1) are different from those of historical versions of yacc(1), the shell script yyfix is provided to simplify the transition. The first (and required) argument to yyfix is the name of the file where the extracted tables should be stored. If further command line arguments are specified, they are taken as the list of tables to be extracted. Otherwise, yyfix attempts to deter- mine if the y.tab.c file is from an old or new yacc(1), and extracts the appropriate tables. The tables ``yyexca'', ``yyact'', ``yypact'', ``yypgo'', ``yyr1'', ``yyr2'', ``yychk'', and ``yydef'' are extracted from historical versions of yacc(1). The tables ``yylhs'', ``yylen'', ``yydefred'', ``yydgoto'', ``yysindex'', ``yyrindex'', ``yygindex'', ``yytable'', ``yyname'', ``yyrule'', and ``yycheck'', are extracted from the current version of yacc(1). FILES
y.tab.c File from which tables are extracted. SEE ALSO
yacc(1) HISTORY
The yyfix command first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
March 23, 1993 BSD