Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Windows 2003 use Samba user database Post 302309730 by jcd on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009 05:23:13 PM
Old 04-22-2009
Windows 2003 use Samba user database

Hi, I have been looking for information on how to make a Windows 2003 server use the user database of an existing Samba installation.

What I want is to use the Win3K as a (second) file server allowing users (using Win2K & Win XP computers) to access its shares using their existing user name/password and, of course, maintaining only one user database.

Is this possible at all?

So far I have joined the Windows 2003 computer to the domain controlled by the Samba computer.

However, I cannot connect to any Win3K share using user name/passwords already defined in Samba.

I cannot login to the Win3K via Remote Desktop Connection (I get a message stating that members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right). So I tried by adding a user from domain to this group (Win3k accepted this) but the result is the same (including the message).

Your help is appreciated.

Juan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I view a Windows 2003 folder in Unix?

Is it possible to do something like this? Have a folder shared on a Windows machine and then be able to view it under a Unix server? Sort of like a reverse Samaba share? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba / FreeBSD member server in MSFT 2003 AD domain

By following the Samba.org how-to's and various finds on groups.google.com I've succeeded in getting a FreeBSD (5.2.1-RELEASE) / Samb-3.0.0,1 server in to my MSFT 2003 Active Directory domain as a member server, but there is a little problem I'm having trouble resolving. Newly created user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Windows Server 2003

Hello All, I need your help with this, i appreciate all your help that you can give. Windows NT Domains Connect Windows XP as a domain client to both systems, Windows Server 2003 and Unix. Secure shell Set up secure shell on Linux (ssh). Set up secure client on Windows XP. Putty? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: italia
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

OpenSSH Server for Windows 2003

Hi Gurus I have installed OpenSSH server in one of my Windows 2003 boxes. I have installed the setup and added the users as told in the link. But i am getting an "Access denied" whenever i try to log in through ssh or sftp. But when i try to log in through my loopback IP (127.0.0.1),i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Install Windows 2003 R2 on existing Windows 2008

Hi, I am trying to install WIndows 2003 R2 Server on existing Windows 2008 server. When I run the 2003 cd it says no disk found. What can be the problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Dual Boot WIndows 2003 and Solaris 10

Hi, I have a dual boot server with Windows on C0t0d0 and Solaris 10 on C1t0d0. When I do a reboot it automatically boots with Windows as default without an option to boot onto Solaris. I want to set Solaris as my default boot. any ideas? Thanks, Suresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
6 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

OpenSSH with windows server 2003

Hi people, I'm trying to configure the OpenSSH in my win server 2003 to accept connection with public/private keys, without password. I research all over internet sites about, almost all them, have the same instructions that doesn't work. I can just get a sFTP connection with password without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurentiis
0 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Server migration from samba+ldap to windows server 2003

Hi, i have a server installed samba+openldap (pdc). Need to migration windows server 2003 (active directory) object users, computers. Where you can read how to do it? Or can tell me how to do it? Thanks. P.S. Sorry for bad english (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap0st0l
0 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Best AV for Itanium IA64 (Windows 2000, 2003, NT)

Hi there I am hoping for a quick response to this one, because we're in a tight spot right now where the Itaniums we have don't support McAfee to run on Windows server setup on our Itanium machine. Does anyone have any idea (perhaps based on good experience themselves?) on what is a good AV that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

10. Solaris

I want to mount windows 2003 oracle instance

I want to mount windows 2003 oracle instance to solaris machine. Can any one has idea? Please send me your experiences ,if any. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagandadi
5 Replies
WBINFO(1)																 WBINFO(1)

NAME
wbinfo - Query information from winbind daemon SYNOPSIS
wbinfo [ -u ] [ -g ] [ -h name ] [ -i ip ] [ -n name ] [ -s sid ] [ -U uid ] [ -G gid ] [ -S sid ] [ -Y sid ] [ -t ] [ -m ] [ -r user ] [ -a user%password ] [ -A user%password ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. The wbinfo program queries and returns information created and used by the winbindd(8) daemon. The winbindd(8) daemon must be configured and running for the wbinfo program to be able to return information. OPTIONS
-u This option will list all users available in the Windows NT domain for which the winbindd(8) daemon is operating in. Users in all trusted domains will also be listed. Note that this operation does not assign user ids to any users that have not already been seen by winbindd(8). -g This option will list all groups available in the Windows NT domain for which the winbindd(8) daemon is operating in. Groups in all trusted domains will also be listed. Note that this operation does not assign group ids to any groups that have not already been seen by winbindd(8). -h name The -h option queries winbindd(8) to query the WINS server for the IP address associated with the NetBIOS name specified by the name parameter. -i ip The -i option queries winbindd(8) to send a node status request to get the NetBIOS name associated with the IP address specified by the ip parameter. -n name The -n option queries winbindd(8) for the SID associated with the name specified. Domain names can be specified before the user name by using the winbind separator character. For example CWDOM1/Administrator refers to the Administrator user in the domain CWDOM1. If no domain is specified then the domain used is the one specified in the smb.conf workgroup parameter. -s sid Use -s to resolve a SID to a name. This is the inverse of the -n option above. SIDs must be specified as ASCII strings in the tradi- tional Microsoft format. For example, S-1-5-21-1455342024-3071081365-2475485837-500. -U uid Try to convert a UNIX user id to a Windows NT SID. If the uid specified does not refer to one within the winbind uid range then the operation will fail. -G gid Try to convert a UNIX group id to a Windows NT SID. If the gid specified does not refer to one within the winbind gid range then the operation will fail. -S sid Convert a SID to a UNIX user id. If the SID does not correspond to a UNIX user mapped by winbindd(8) then the operation will fail. -Y sid Convert a SID to a UNIX group id. If the SID does not correspond to a UNIX group mapped by winbindd(8) then the operation will fail. -t Verify that the workstation trust account created when the Samba server is added to the Windows NT domain is working. -m Produce a list of domains trusted by the Windows NT server winbindd(8) contacts when resolving names. This list does not include the Windows NT domain the server is a Primary Domain Controller for. -r username Try to obtain the list of UNIX group ids to which the user belongs. This only works for users defined on a Domain Controller. -a username%password Attempt to authenticate a user via winbindd. This checks both authenticaion methods and reports its results. -A username%password Store username and password used by winbindd during session setup to a domain controller. This enables winbindd to operate in a Win- dows 2000 domain with Restrict Anonymous turned on (a.k.a. Permissions compatiable with Windows 2000 servers only). EXIT STATUS
The wbinfo program returns 0 if the operation succeeded, or 1 if the operation failed. If the winbindd(8) daemon is not working wbinfo will always return failure. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
winbindd(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. wbinfo and winbindd were written by Tim Potter. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 WBINFO(1)