Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Location of log file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Location of log file Post 302309445 by zaxxon on Wednesday 22nd of April 2009 12:34:48 AM
Old 04-22-2009
Add a "-l" to the grep to see at least what the filename is. Check man grep on your system if you have an option to print the full path maybe.
Also some greps have -R do search recursively so you could spare the find.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Open view log location

Can someone tell me where the path to store the error message in HP OpenView? thk a lot (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
0 Replies

2. Gentoo

Location log after process crontab

Hi... I want to know directori location and file name (log) after crontab has been running.. (linux disto gentoo and sun solaris) Because for long time maybe contain this log file becomes large. Thanks for your help. regards, srilinux (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilinux
4 Replies

3. AIX

Location of smit.log

What is the location of smit.log (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put one string from one location to another location in a file

Hi Everyone, I have 1.txt here a b c' funny"yes"; d e The finally output is: here a b c d e' funny"yes"; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

HPVM log file location and a sample

1. Can somebody tell me the log file location of HPVM where all the events of guest OS are reported ? 2. And if possible a log file with important events in it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

6. AIX

Log Location

Hi, I would like to find out where the system will display the server was shutdown due to power fluctuation. I have check the command errpt and alog -o -t boot |more but not getting the requred information. alog -o -t boot command is not showing the time Time: 9 LEDS: 0x538 invoking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created in a different location instead of desired location on using crontab

Hi, I am logging to a linux server through a user "user1" in /home directory. There is a script in a directory in 'root' for which all permissions are available including the directory. This script when executed creates a file in the directory. When the script is added to crontab, on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana.n
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy a file from one location to another location?

I have file file1.txt in location 'loc1'. Now i want a copy of this file in location 'loc2' with a new file called test.txt. Please help me how to do this in shell script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

avahi , change the log location

avahi error message goes to /var/log/messages , how can put avahi to log the error in a file /var/log/avahi-error instead of /var/log/messages (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a existing file location and directory location in Solaris box?

Hi This is my third past and very impressed with previous post replies Hoping the same for below query How to find a existing file location and directory location in solaris box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzme
1 Replies
vbmtchain(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      vbmtchain(8)

NAME
vbmtchain - Displays the contents of a reserved file from an unmounted domain. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/advfs/vbmtchain BMT_page cell special OPERANDS
Specifies the page within the bitfile metadata table (BMT) of the volume that contains the file's mcell. Specifies the cell of the BMT page that contains the file's mcell. Specifies the volume on which the file's primary mcell is located. DESCRIPTION
The vbmtchain utility displays the contents of a reserved file from an unmounted domain. The file is described by the location of its pri- mary mcell. Each mcell location is composed of three parts: volume, page within the BMT file located on that volume, and cell within the BMT page. The primary mcell for the root tag directory is found in the BMT of the volume containing the log. To find this volume for a domain, use the showfdmn or the advscan command. The volume marked "L" contains the log. Certain metadata files are in fixed locations: ------------------------------------------------------- Page Cell Volume ------------------------------------------------------- Bitfile metadata table 0 0 Every volume Storage bitmap 0 1 Every volume Root tag directory 0 2 Volume with log Transaction log file 0 3 Volume with log ------------------------------------------------------- The vbmtchain utility displays the attributes of the file, including the time stamp, the extent map, and whether the file is a user direc- tory or a data file. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root user privileges to access this command. SEE ALSO
Commands: showfdmn(8), advscan(8) Files: advfs(4) vbmtchain(8)